medical related question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saltybubbles

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a fairly new diver with 26 dives so far. Most of them in Cozumel.

Our first time out this season was in a Lake and the water temp was about 70 or so.

On first desent I noted a pain in my left upper chest. Kind of like a squeeze sensation. I was no deeper than 20 feet. It really felt like I had a burp trapped. When we surfaced it faded away. It did not travel anywhere else.

Any ideas?

Without further details, it's hard to guess.

If the pain is recurring, persistent or if it interferes with your dives, it would be a good idea to seek medical advice.

My amateur guess would be drysuit squeeze (if you were using a drysuit). Swallowing air can cause discomfort but the upper chest is not a likely area to be affected.

Hopefully, the problem was a one off and it won't occur again.

I was wearing a 5 ml wet suit. we have not had the chance to dive since then but will be going again next weekend.

Thank you for the answer

I am a fairly new diver with 26 dives so far. Most of them in Cozumel.

Our first time out this season was in a Lake and the water temp was about 70 or so.

On first desent I noted a pain in my left upper chest. Kind of like a squeeze sensation. I was no deeper than 20 feet. It really felt like I had a burp trapped. When we surfaced it faded away. It did not travel anywhere else.

Any ideas?

My suggestion to anyone who has chest pain is that you seek medical attention. A squeezing, pressure like sensation could represent a genuine cardiac problem. The fact that it resolved upon ascent may be coincidental or may represent a problem that deserves further evaluation. There are several questions I would inquire about. Your age. Health history. Medications. Risk factors for heart disease. Discuss this issue with your primary care physician before your next dive. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Chest pain: See physician: Good idea!

But don't worry until you do. Chest pains come for various reasons.

You ever get heart burn? I take preventive OTC heartburn meds before all dives.

I am 54, non smoker, on no meds. No history of heart problems. I do have PAT but do not require any meds for it. I have lost 85 pounds in the last two years and am active.

I will be interested in seeing what happens when we dive next weekend. If it repeats I will be calling my PCP.

Thanks for answering.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom