Mermaid I or II Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaNYC16

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone been on both and know the difference between 1 and 2? 2 looks bigger and they have similar itinerary’s I’m looking at for December 2020.

Thanks.

I have been in both. I personally prefer mermaid one, and I think most people would, but both are good.

Mermaid one has proper cabins and they are a little bit bigger than mermaid two since they are our more people on mermaid two then on mermaid one. Also mermaid ones trips can be a day or two longer than mermaid twos. Also to do go to more places. Mermaid one has a larger eating area of the mermaid two, and the mermaid to eating area, in addition to being a little cramped, it’s not very well air-conditioned.

I believe the dinghy is on mermaid two are a little bit larger than on mermaid one. Mermaid one has satellite Internet, and mermaid two does not, it has only a satellite telephone. Mermaid two does have a very nice kind of living room, air-conditioned, and more of mermaid twos decks are carpeted.

I would happily take either boat, but if I could choose between the two I would choose mermaid one

Bill

Yeah I figured out that 1 has the side-by-side beds besides the budget cabins and 2 has bunk beds for all the double cabins. I’ll probably go with 1 for 9 nites December 2020.

Thanks for the extra info.

How did they do the diving? Do the groups have to stay together or let you buddy dive? Time limit or based on your air?

You can buddy dive I believe. We did not, but I think I recall hearing them say that. There have always been 2 - 4 people in our groups. We felt well-looked-after, even in high currents, and they do go to high-current areas.

Time limit was 70 mins, except in Misool it is 60 min for everyone.

- Bill

Thanks for the info Bill. I’ve only been in Mermaid1. I do remember Celco (CD & DM) of Mermaid1 at the time (Aug, 2014) mentioned about Mermaid2, although it is bigger (33x7m) than Mermaid1 (28x7m), it has no sundeck.

Yes you can buddy dive.

Divers / DM ratio was 4 when I was there. Since MMI has only 15 divers (maximum), we were divided into 4 groups. Each group had 4 divers led by a DM, except the 4th group had 3 divers led by CD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom