Mermaids Internship in Thailand?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's the secret agents that get you...:wink:

I've yet to dive in Thailand but might come for a few weeks in November. What site would you suggest? I'd like a good area for photography, which I'm sure most of Thailand is, not necessarily a huge tourist area. Thanks. (Since the real story is going nowhere)

Go to the Similans. Excellent visibility so very good for photography, and in November not as busy as it will be later on in the season.

stevenl:
Go to the Similans. Excellent visibility so very good for photography, and in November not as busy as it will be later on in the season.

I second that. Was there in November last year and it was absolutely fabulous and it was indeed very quiet. We stayed at Richlieu Rock for half a day and a night dive and were the only boat there... I think I'll be tootling off there myself that sort of time again. Get yourself on a Similans liveaboard and enjoy a few days in the Andaman sea...

When I start reading this thread it caught my eyes. Because it was about taking a internship with Mermaids in Thailand, or not. But now it seems to become another tread about more personal stuff involved. I'm very interested in taking a internship in Thailand, maybe with Mermaids or Aquanauts. But still have some doubts.

I want to gain the best experience possible during the courses (DM & instructor). It's maybe not the "best" diving in Thailand, but I think that's personal? I never dived in Thailand before, so therefore I cannot judge.

All I want to know is, if Mermaids of Aquanauts offer good training and value for the money. And maybe as important for me, if there's any change of getting a job in the diveindustry afterwards...

If there is someone out there who can give me some serious info about this, please do so. Cheers, Haiko

Haiko:
.....if there's any chance of getting a job in the dive industry afterwards...
Pimalai Divers on Koh Lanta are looking for DM trainees to train at the start of the season, then work with them for the rest of the season. Drop them an e-mail, see how they sound. It's always good to shop around......
Also check out these guys in the Gulf.

Its definately not the best diving in thailand - but for wrecks, pattaya is spoilt, well within recreational limitis anyway...!

Freds :coffee:

bcdannymalone:
He also did his course in Koh Samui- not even on the map of good diving in Thailand!
And Pattaya is ?
Crowley:
Viz. in Pattaya ranges from 25metres to 1 metre (very rarely) at the extreme ends of the spectrum with an average for most of the year of about 7 - 10 metres.
Firstly, you don't do an IDC for the quality of the diving, you do it for the quality of the instruction.

Secondly, the dive ops in Samui dive the same sites as those in Koh Tao, ie. Sail Rock, Chumphon Pinnacle, South-West Pinnacle, Shark Island, White Rock etc. Sites where the vis is usually around the 20m mark, often better, occasionally worse. These sites, while not the best Thailand has to offer, are still very good. Chumphon Pinnacle always has good chances of grey reef sharks and you never know when the whale sharks will be in the area. If I wanted to do wrecks, I'd go to Pattaya, for reef diving I'd go elsewhere in Thailand.

Well said Bubble Junky. Pattaya and the Gulf are always going to be the butt of the jokes from the Andaman crowd who remind me a lot of Mac Addicts who see nothing good in the other side and have a dying need to convince everyone to see things only their way.

Much like Windows users, we in the Gulf, and in Pattaya in particular, acknowledge the challenge our areas face, but don't feel the need to demonize the other side. My argument consistently is there is good, enjoyable diving everywhere and each area offers advantages over other areas.

So, sure, Pattaya diving is pretty horrible at times. But hey, we got 3 wrecks open to mainstream divers, which makes us unique. And Pattaya is a very, very good training ground because of the very things people criticize it for. My 63-year old mother could handle a rescue in flat seas, no current and 100m viz. But that's not where rescues happen.

Imagine training as an instructor in idyllic conditions and then go to work and get slapped with some really ripping current, high seas & low viz, then get a panicky student. If I was a diver aspiring to be an instructor, I'd want to have faced those conditions before. I like to believe it's because our interns get so well tested over the span of 2-6 months here that that is why they are almost universally successful in finding employment after leaving us.

Haiko asked about whether you could get a job after training with us at Aquanauts. The answer is an unqualified YES. Nearly 100% of all interns who sought work after graduating are now working industry, some as lead instructors at shops in Samui and Phuket. Others recently have landed jobs in the Turks & Caicos, Bermuda, Australia, Malaysia and the Philippines.

But we're not resting our track record on our laurels. Before the end of the month we will be launching Jobs4Divers.com, a new dive industry jobs NETWORK of websites. Five different sites devoted to different segments of the industry -- divemasters, instructors, techies & commercial divers.

But Jobs4Divers is more than just a website. Rather than simply throw up a site and wait for employers to find us, we have hired a full-time staff that is contacting dive centers around the world actually LOOKING for jobs. And Aquanauts interns get access to those job openings 2 days before the rest of the world.

In addition, every intern will be assigned a staff Employment Counselor who, one month before instructor certification, will sit down and work with the intern to get their CV and cover letter in shape and online. They'll also interview the intern to find out WHERE in the world the intern wants to work and then will direct their job search effort to that region.

No other dive center in the world can match this commitment to job placement. We built the site using top developers in Bangkok and Phuket. We own and manage the site through an entirely separate subsidiary company and we have full-time, in-house staff whose only job it is is to find jobs for our interns.

That Haiko, is what I call value.

That's not to mention all the inherent value in our internship program: Unlimited diving for up to 6 months, full private accommodations, a full set of new gear, 3 different sets of bonus courses (worth up to $1,500), all courses, books & fees, airport transfers, visa assistance and more.

A more detailed announcement about Jobs4Divers, plus the full internships details, are on our Diving Instructor Training website at the link below.

Sounds nice. I gonna check-out the website to gain more info.
Now it's just a matter of saving some money to achive my goals...

Thanx for the info, I'll keep in touch!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom