Mesh Bag - Backpack or Duffel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer a duffle, but with long enough handles, I can sling it easily over the shoulders without an additional strap. I prefer the larger opening on a duffle versus the backpack style.

Agree, a duffel that you can hook over one or both shoulders. I used to have one that opened at the end and it was really a hassle to load and unload. We put the duffel inside our gear bags and everything we'll use in our first dives inside the duffel, then (in theory) just pull it out on our way to the first day's dives.

Many of the stiff, wheeled duffels take up too much room on boats. They don't fit under the seats, except sidewise, or take up valuable deck space. By far, I prefer a backpack, rolls up small under the seats, easy to carry to the boat. Of course, I feel the same way about too large crates to carry gear on boats. I wish others were more considerate about the space available. Nothing like walking around the deck, dodging duffels and crates in big seas.

Which do you prefer?

Are you referring to airplane travel or just local car/boat travel?

For airplane, Pelican cases are the way to go. Indestructible, keeps your gear safe, dry, and damage free especially when you are transporting rebreathers.

For local boat/car use crates are the best. 10 x better than mesh bags or duffels. Easy to find and organize your gear in, you can stack multiple nicely, string bungee across them to organize reel, lights, clips, etc. drains really well or you can get solid ones if you want to keep your wet gear contained.

Mesh bags rip and get snagged on everything, duffle bags get wet moldy, and become a black hole that everything gets lost in.

1663983738051.png

For local boat/car use crates are the best.
Perhaps if you've cleared it with the boat. I've been on many boats where that's a no-go. I do understand there are regions where it is the norm (e.g., great lakes).

We use the Stahlsac mesh gear bags, it does have a backpack configuration. There is a zipper that would allow it to be used as a duffle bag but I have never used it, just top loading everything. I lay it flat in the bottom of my roller travel bag and then my backplate and wing and then everything else on top, fins to either side. I like the mesh bags because on the boat I can roll it up and toss it under the bench and not intrude upon other divers space or have it sticking out catching toes or sliding around causing a hazard like a heavy plastic crate. They dry fast enough in the sun.

On my personal boat I put my gear, usually, in a plastic bin and set it up forward of the console but I might just use the mesh bag.

Backpack or duffel? Get both. I've got a Cressi Roatan that can be carried like a backpack or like a duffel. Can access stuff through the top like a backpack or through a zipper down the side like a duffel.

Are these a rubberized mesh or coated mesh? Looks like a nice bag.

Duffel >>>> With Wheels
It scrunch's down to fit below any boat seat. and the wheels make walking to your car/hotel so easy.
I got one on a whim - an Aqualung roller for more than 100usd. Later I realised it’s a total waste - because one cannot pack it into a suitcase for travel. The hard bottom L shape that houses the roller wheels (I think 14” uncollapsible height/width) make it too tall to fit into a regular flat suitcase. So it sits at home forever… that 100$ could have gone towards a mask or regulator… sigh!

Edit : As soon as I made this post I made a determined search for pelican cases of bigger dimensions in my own city and may have found a local manufacturer. More expensive than most travel luggage but worth it perhaps… will know after I check it out this weekend. But essentially it boils down to a 105$ roller mesh needing a 200$ pelican case. On the other hand a 30$ duffel mesh I got can fold and fit into my regular travel luggage.

For boat, I have an Akona mesh duffle bag.
I love the wide opening to put things in and take out but it is a royal pain in the shoulder! I would prefer backpack style

For boat, I have an Akona mesh duffle bag.
I love the wide opening to put things in and take out but it is a royal pain in the shoulder! I would prefer backpack style
I have what is probably the same bag, and agree completely! It’s, actually, a little too long, which makes it hard to carry. I have tried carrying like a backpack but that doesn’t work either. I’m starting to really like the idea of the Stahlsacs.

Erik

We use the Stahlsac mesh gear bags, it does have a backpack configuration. There is a zipper that would allow it to be used as a duffle bag but I have never used it, just top loading everything. I lay it flat in the bottom of my roller travel bag and then my backplate and wing and then everything else on top, fins to either side. I like the mesh bags because on the boat I can roll it up and toss it under the bench and not intrude upon other divers space or have it sticking out catching toes or sliding around causing a hazard like a heavy plastic crate. They dry fast enough in the sun.

On my personal boat I put my gear, usually, in a plastic bin and set it up forward of the console but I might just use the mesh bag.

Are these a rubberized mesh or coated mesh? Looks like a nice bag.
I'm not sure what it technically is, but it feels somewhat rubber-coated, if that makes sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom