Mesh Bag - Backpack or Duffel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have what is probably the same bag, and agree completely! It’s, actually, a little too long, which makes it hard to carry. I have tried carrying like a backpack but that doesn’t work either. I’m starting to really like the idea of the Stahlsacs.
For any duffel bag that has loops or handles on the ends, you can add a wide or padded single strap and sling the bag behind you like a messenger bag. You can buy them or DIY one with some harness webbing and spare hardware.

Not really clear as to whether you are talking about a main airline travel bag or a boat bag? I use a couple of Stahlsaks...

The big daddy is a Stahlsac Curaco that has a LOT of room, dedicated fin pockets on the sides and a robust pull handle and roller wheel system... That "checked" bag gets me and the bulk of everything I need to my designation. My reg sets, camera gear and mask always go into carry-on...

But I also bring a smaller mesh duffle style backpack that I use on tropical trips to bring everything I need to the boat...... if I am boat diving. It easily holds my BC, reg set, fins, mask, booties, 3mm or rashguard, drybox tool kit, etc.... I just walk onto the boat with my small duffle over one shoulder and my camera in the the other hand..

For cold water boat dives, I still use the large Stahlsac and it holds everything including drysuit, undergarments, 19cf pony, etc...

For local shore dives from my truck or dives on my own boat, I just use two totes. One for dry stuff and one for wet stuff..

CqYQyxK.jpg

OKXf8H5.jpg

q0vdgWX.jpg

This is what I am contemplating as a replacement to the duffel bag for boat.

Attachments

• 9A7D844C-23D3-4D09-811B-C865CB966EEE.png
    9A7D844C-23D3-4D09-811B-C865CB966EEE.png
    141.2 KB · Views: 62
For any duffel bag that has loops or handles on the ends, you can add a wide or padded single strap and sling the bag behind you like a messenger bag. You can buy them or DIY one with some harness webbing and spare hardware.
Now that you mention it, I think mine came with one that I immediately through in my “Keep it just in case” pile. I should find it, and try it, before moving on to some other bag. Thanks for thinking of my wallet for me!

Mine came without handles or a strap so I need to do this with the loops. I didn’t find any YouTube videos online with a quick search - if you have some links please post and share.

Thanks

Mine came without handles or a strap so I need to do this with the loops. I didn’t find any YouTube videos online with a quick search - if you have some links please post and share.

Thanks
By "loops or handles on the ends" I meant loops on the end or handles on the end. Before posting I did a quick search on Akona mesh duffel bags and they all seemed to have both. For example:
s-l500.jpg

If you don't have anyplace to attach a strap, you'd have to sew something on that's strong enough to take the weight of the whole bag at which point it's probably not worth the effort.

This is what I am contemplating as a replacement to the duffel bag for boat.
I have used Akona mesh backpacks for many years. It's my impression that the quality and longevity has decreased over time. I have had trouble with seams, zipper on the pocket, and the grommets for the drawstring are terrible and all come out. Not sure I have used the model you posted, maybe it is better.

EDIT: I checked, that's the one I've been using, I'm disappointed in it. I do use it quite a bit. I think the mesh backpacks are the best for use on boats and take up little valuable space when empty. Maybe I can find a better one.

I have used Akona mesh backpacks for many years. It's my impression that the quality and longevity has decreased over time. I have had trouble with seams, zipper on the pocket, and the grommets for the drawstring are terrible and all come out. Not sure I have used the model you posted, maybe it is better.

EDIT: I checked, that's the one I've been using, I'm disappointed in it. I do use it quite a bit. I think the mesh backpacks are the best for use on boats and take up little valuable space when empty. Maybe I can find a better one.
Thanks Scubadada. My Akona had a zipper break after a few dives so I think you may be right about their quality. Maybe the Mares bag will be a better option.
Too bad.

I have this one and have been very happy with it. It's better quality that the PACMAXI Scuba Diving Bag (on Amazon) and holds more than the Akona Globetrotter (although it is larger) and liked it better.

Mares Cruise Mesh Backpack

By "loops or handles on the ends" I meant loops on the end or handles on the end. Before posting I did a quick search on Akona mesh duffel bags and they all seemed to have both.

If you don't have anyplace to attach a strap, you'd have to sew something on that's strong enough to take the weight of the whole bag at which point it's probably not worth the effort.

Thanks

Ignore my post. I looked again and besides the 1” loops all along the length there are also wider loops through which I can pass a harness strap. So this should not require a video tutorial.

My stupid bag came with handles only on the top end to drag it along a smooth floor with the bottom roller end having nothing. No handles like in the pic you posted even! Will need the harness to make DIY handles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom