Mesh tank protectors?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only kidding. Hence the faces. (icons?)

No hostility on my part, I'm teasing, nothing more.

Personally, I don't use the protectors because they're a pain in the rear, and seem only to be a profit-maker for the dive shops.

But what the hey, if you like 'em, use 'em. (not directed to cdiver)

cdiver2:
Look at post #5, long before you came along

I use a retractor on my computer..
It's pretty handy, so it seems.

Perhaps I did a few letters to the aforementioned "W" word... :)

ScubaScott:
Its the same as pussy with a 'w', isn't it?

Oh yeah - very interesting thread. Or maybe not. Awful lot of hostility simply discussing a tank wrap.

For the record, I do not use wraps on any of my AL or steel tanks. Tank mesh belongs in the pile with the scumballs, retractors, ankle weights and spareair, or anything of a flourescent colour.

My opinion, your mileage may vary

SS

Randy - I wasn't pointing at hostility in your direction, I only quoted you for the wussy remark... or maybe we should spell it wousie....

Ceases to amaze how wound up some people get when discussing gear....

I think everyone has to much blood in their nitrogen system, and need to get out and dive more. Lets see if we can't get some of those pretty tanks scuffed up a little....

Cheers all, and keep the love flowing.....

SS

I get disgusted the way a thread will denigrate into a series of recriminations so quickly. It makes my head spin.

I know you’ll find this hard to believe, but once in a while I’ll stir the bucket, so to speak. Hard to believe, eh? (notice the Canadian prose there?)

Please don’t mention diving right now. At the moment I cannot afford a trip to the Caribbean, and the Ohio quarries are about to freeze over.

A friend of mine used to point out that I misspelled WUSSY. I always thought she was wrong. :) From now on, I'll spell it correctly. And.... for what it's worth, people who use mesh tank protectors are still WUSSES.

:)

ScubaScott:
Randy - I wasn't pointing at hostility in your direction, I only quoted you for the wussy remark... or maybe we should spell it wousie....

Ceases to amaze how wound up some people get when discussing gear....

I think everyone has to much blood in their nitrogen system, and need to get out and dive more. Lets see if we can't get some of those pretty tanks scuffed up a little....

Cheers all, and keep the love flowing.....

SS

Ya know... there are a LOT of mesh tank protectors down in the Caribbean right now. Could there be a connection? :D

It is counterintuitive, but I observe that every tank mesh protector installed to "protect" a painted tank ends up damaging the finish of the tank over a long period of time. Folks may not see it or pay close attention after their mesh has been removed and MAYBE reinstalled, but over time, the mesh will rub the tank, etching a pattern into the otherwise painted finish. This leaves the tanks with a fish scale appearance. That may be a feature to some, likely a bug for most.

Also found that those little etching patterns form a nucleation site for Al surface oxidation. Same for tank boots. Efforts to "protect" a finish actually degrade it.

Imagined discusssion upon tank return after a visual:

"You took my mesh off! And now my tank looks like crap where you scraped the paint off!"​
"Yep. Them little paint blisters where the mesh wrap was had to be removed to determine the extent of any corrosion. That's part what you are going to pay me for."​

Honest, earned wear (not abuse) does show a degree of accomplishment and experience that is more impressive than a shiny new candy apple red AL80 with accompanying color accents on flippers and masks and BCDs and neoprene ever will. At least to folks that know better.

Just on casual observation, I'd rather have the guy with a 40-year-old pistol with worn-through blueing and a sweat-stained holster over the guy with a new $3,500 custom job carried in his $500 elephant/alligator skin holster backing me up if I ever needed it.

OMMOHY

(Yes, I said "flippers" - tough dooky. It's more fun to say than "fins")

It is counterintuitive, but I observe that every tank mesh protector installed to "protect" a painted tank ends up damaging the finish of the tank over a long period of time. Folks may not see it or pay close attention after their mesh has been removed and MAYBE reinstalled, but over time, the mesh will rub the tank, etching a pattern into the otherwise painted finish. This leaves the tanks with a fish scale appearance. That may be a feature to some, likely a bug for most.

Also found that those little etching patterns form a nucleation site for Al surface oxidation. Same for tank boots. Efforts to "protect" a finish actually degrade it.

Imagined discusssion upon tank return after a visual:

"You took my mesh off! And now my tank looks like crap where you scraped the paint off!"​
"Yep. Them little paint blisters where the mesh wrap was had to be removed to determine the extent of any corrosion. That's part what you are going to pay me for."​

Honest, earned wear (not abuse) does show a degree of accomplishment and experience that is more impressive than a shiny new candy apple red AL80 with accompanying color accents on flippers and masks and BCDs and neoprene ever will. At least to folks that know better.

Just on casual observation, I'd rather have the guy with a 40-year-old pistol with worn-through blueing and a sweat-stained holster over the guy with a new $3,500 custom job carried in his $500 elephant/alligator skin holster backing me up if I ever needed it.

OMMOHY

(Yes, I said "flippers" - tough dooky. It's more fun to say than "fins")
Bored today? That thread has been sitting dormant since 2004.

Bored today? That thread has been sitting dormant since 2004.
Holy Moldy Zombies, Batman!

Yeah. I know. But the tanks I'm rehabbing are from 1994 ...

OMMOHY

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom