metric made easy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan:
No one got my "double it and add 30" joke :(

Note to self: If diving with jonnythan, double check metric conversions. When finished, check 30 more times. :D

cancun mark:
the pressure at the bottom of the 1 meter water column with be 0.1 of an atmosphere.

Ok, I'm just coming to this post and I don't feel like wading through 5 pages of response so if this has already been covered forgive me :D.

However, wouldn't this be 1.1 atmospheres?

James

James Goddard:
However, wouldn't this be 1.1 atmospheres?
Depends if you are talking gauge or absolute :wink:

jonnythan:
No one got my "double it and add 30" joke :(
Saw it, got it, just didnt LOL :wink: Its what most people do for temps to be roughly right, but you're right, you cant apply it to all metric situations.

Azza:
How about making it easy this time

dude, they absolutely refuse to make anything easy for themselves. They insist on using a random selection of base 10, base 12, base 14 and a seriese of totally unrelated units of measurement with nonsensical variations fot he same measurement just for good measure. This is why the US will never be a true world leader like New Zealand...

simbrooks:
Saw it, got it, just didnt LOL :wink: Its what most people do for temps to be roughly right, but you're right, you cant apply it to all metric situations.
It's from Bob & Doug McKenzie. They did a whole audio skit on converting to metric :eyebrow:

cancun mark:
dude, they absolutely refuse to make anything easy for themselves. They insist on using a random selection of base 10, base 12, base 14 and a seriese of totally unrelated units of measurement with nonsensical variations fot he same measurement just for good measure. This is why the US will never be a true world leader like New Zealand...

Now I have it figured out Mark. You're using the "Maori metric system" and that's different. That's the one Captain Cook started teaching them just before they ate four of his crew so the lesson was cut short. OK, you're forgiven. Why didn't you just say so?

Back
Top Bottom