Metric versus Imperial System for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you add that sentence? The rest was accurate, that was simply ignorant and inflammatory.
Because that's exactly what people have been saying, and almost verbatim too. It may not reflect the average American, but the fact that some people feel that way and aren't even ashamed to admit it is somewhat concerning and sure doesn't help your nation's image abroad (which is what originally led to this discussion).

---------- Post added October 27th, 2014 at 11:45 AM ----------

In regard to the metric system instead of it reading "Who cares about the rest of the world" it should read "Why does the rest of the world care?" Obviously the US using metric isn't hurting anyone else in the world, so why should the world care what system the US uses?
Because you're hurting yourself and we're such nice people that we care deeply about you and wish you wouldn't be doing that :cool2:

Seriously though, as a European living in Canada, I'd prefer to see the remnants of the imperial system disappear sooner rather than later. I don't know how much of a factor the American influence here is, but it definitely is a factor and is at least part of the reason why scuba courses are taught in imperial and not in metric. I'm sure divemasters around the world would also appreciate it if they didn't have to ask "are you in bar or PSI" every time a new diver arrives. And then have to keep track of it during the dive. Easy to get confused there and I've seen it happen. "How much air do you have left?" 7 fingers go up. What's that again, 70 bar or 700 PSI?

I'm sure divemasters around the world would also appreciate it if they didn't have to ask "are you in bar or PSI" every time a new diver arrives. And then have to keep track of it during the dive. Easy to get confused there and I've seen it happen. "How much air do you have left?" 7 fingers go up. What's that again, 70 bar or 700 PSI?

This is, in fact, a good reason for the whole world to use one common system of units. And to be more general: standardization = good, with a 99% confidence interval. And sorry, USA, you're the minority and you're the ones lagging behind the rest of the world, so it's you who have to change if we're going to standardize.

It doesn't affect me personally, though. I dive in metric country, and after my last trip to the states, I decided I'm not going through US immigrations again if I can avoid it. So I probably won't be diving in non-metric country in the foreseeable future either.

I keep reading all these discussions about nothing. It's just not that hard--when in Rome... Canada using PSI & feet: Interesting. I find most students on our courses talk in terms of feet for depth, and of course PSI, though some do mention meters (usually those who came from Europe). For water/air temps. though, Canadians do talk celsius (though quite a few--even young people sometimes-- know what I mean if I talk fahrenheit).

PSI, feet must be just one of those U.S. things that slipped through. There are a lot of US influences in Canada. At times Canadians like to complain about that. Other than parliamentary system, healthcare and guns, I don't honestly see any real difference in the 2 countries--there are more regional differences in both countries.

The U.S. does use the metric system, just not very publicly. All companies that use global manufacturing and are part of the global economy specify product dimensions in metric. Even car companies. We use computers with CAD/CAM software to make it easy for everyone to get along.

Oh, and all science & engineering is conducted in SI units. Or was that cgs.? Or mks? I'm old enough to remember the mks version of Maxwell's Equations. School kids get SI units in elementary school, so no need to worry about them.

We just keep our road signs in miles to piss off the insecure Europeans that come over to visit. The Brits, of course, feel right at home and don't complain.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: EFX
I keep reading all these discussions about nothing. It's just not that hard--when in Rome...
That's a nice concept, but it doesn't universally apply. The whole reason behind metrication was and is to get rid of the many incompatible, imprecise and cumbersome systems and instead put a global standard in place that is recognized and accepted everywhere.

I have no doubt that the US will eventually give in and adopt SI and I hope to be alive when it happens. A few halfhearted attempts have already been made in the past and there's considerable support within the country. It just takes the right sort of government to actually pull through with it.

I'll also offer you support however I can to get to the real problem that Canada needs to ignore the US and stick to metric and teaching diving only in metric. Who do we talk to? Let me know.

Forget it. My guess as to why Canadians teach diving in english units is the same reason why the US teaches it; because that's how the US dives. There are probably a lot of Canadians diving here where command of english units is helpful. If they bring their own equipment I imagine their SPG is in bar but they can convert to psi in the water. It's not a big deal and it's not hard. DFX, you need to grow a thicker skin like your fellow Canadians.

Now there is something to live for. You don't get out much do you.:D

Drama much?:rofl3::rofl3:

I have no doubt that the US will eventually give in and adopt SI and I hope to be alive when it happens
. A few halfhearted attempts have already been made in the past and there's considerable support within the country. It just takes the right sort of government to actually pull through with it.

Forget it. My guess as to why Canadians teach diving in english units is the same reason why the US teaches it; because that's how the US dives. There are probably a lot of Canadians diving here where command of english units is helpful. If they bring their own equipment I imagine their SPG is in bar but they can convert to psi in the water. It's not a big deal and it's not hard. DFX, you need to grow a thicker skin like your fellow Canadians.
I'm not a Canadian :tongue: if I were, I'd probably measure myself in feet and inches too, despite my driver's license showing it in centimetres :rofl3:

PSI, feet must be just one of those U.S. things that slipped through. There are a lot of US influences in Canada. At times Canadians like to complain about that. Other than parliamentary system, healthcare and guns, I don't honestly see any real difference in the 2 countries--there are more regional differences in both countries.

Canada and the US got PSI and feet from the same place, look east to the prime meridian.

Bob
-------------------------------
A nod, you know, is as good as a wink to a blind horse.

I recall Carter started the US road signs in Km in the '70s (a few still exist here & there). Was there another attempt for the U.S. to go metric?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom