Mexican military and their guns - safe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I was in Italy in the early '70s I have admit that I was somewhat shocked to see officers with full autos standing guard when mail was being transferred into and out of the post offices, and seeing full auto weapons routinely carried by the Carabinieri.

Also my very first trip to Mexico I was a bit put off by the sandbagged position at an intersection, with belt fed weapons, on the final approach to Cancun. For some reason this did not comfort me.

When I went to Singapore, seeing the police (military?) with their MP-5's didn't bother me. Their BFK's (Kukri's, I believe) creeped me out a lot, though.

I decided to go check it out for myself.
I went over to the malecon to see how many police and military personnel were out on patrol with visible weapons.

I was surprised by what I saw.
There are three levels of police on the island. The city police, the state police, and the federales.
There is also a military presence, army Navy and Marines.

They were out in full force.

IMG_20181223_165635364.jpg

IMG_20181223_165651997.jpg

IMG_20181223_165645579_HDR.jpg

There were more than I have seen before.
It was unusual and I realized that there must have been someone very important on the island. Maybe the new president.

As I waited to see who or what was going on, it was clear that it was in fact a very important person they were there for.

Mexico in general is a dangerous place. They are there to keep you safe in Cozumel and they do a good job of it. I always prefer the gun in the hands of good guys over bad guys. That i why i alway carry. You could always vaca at cancun and have the bad guys shooting at you instead. I know a security consultant that went there 10 years ago to show people how not to be kidnapped. He was kidnapped and murdered. Link below

No one hurt as gunmen on jet skis open fire on Cancun beach | Mexico | Dallas News

Kidnapped in Mexico: Miami security consultant still missing after a year

Fair enough, and I agree. Personally I avoid the bad areas, pay trust worthy drivers, and carry a "multitool" with me. So I feel comfortable in Mexico to go to Cozumel, the hotel zone of Cancun, and any areas where my driver doesn't say "I wouldn't go there if I were you Senor."

Now key stone cops flagging me with M-16s that look like it came out of a crate lost during the Vietnam war, mildly makes me uncomfortable, but stepping away a foot or two solves that.

But saying that I just contacted my dive operator to make my plans for my March trip to COZ.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Although some latitude has been allowed for discussion, please consider this a reminder...this is the Cozumel Forum and the topic is Mexican military and its guns. This isn't a thread to discuss views about gun laws in other countries.Marg, SB senior moderator

I don't understand why people wouldn't feel safe, especially in the touristy areas. The reason there are so many armed guards is to ensure your safety while visiting. The government wants to make sure you keep coming back and keep spending money, and will do anything to prioritize your safety. They can't afford to have their soldiers strongarm you for money or have cartels threaten your safety, because the bad p.r. that follows would cause them to lose millions of dollars.

I don't understand why people wouldn't feel safe, especially in the touristy areas. The reason there are so many armed guards is to ensure your safety while visiting. The government wants to make sure you keep coming back and keep spending money, and will do anything to prioritize your safety. They can't afford to have their soldiers strongarm you for money or have cartels threaten your safety, because the bad p.r. that follows would cause them to lose millions of dollars.
That's kind of what I was thinking. The few times I saw an armed Mexican army soldier in coz were the times I felt most safe. Since tourists aren't allowed to defend themselves down that way, it's the next best thing.

You can't please all the people all the time.

Mexico in general is a dangerous place. They are there to keep you safe in Cozumel and they do a good job of it. I always prefer the gun in the hands of good guys over bad guys. That i why i alway carry. You could always vaca at cancun and have the bad guys shooting at you instead. I know a security consultant that went there 10 years ago to show people how not to be kidnapped. He was kidnapped and murdered. Link below

No one hurt as gunmen on jet skis open fire on Cancun beach | Mexico | Dallas News

Kidnapped in Mexico: Miami security consultant still missing after a year

That's a really wild story about the security consultant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom