Michigan Diver Missing at White Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand the logic of how it is easier (and potentially safer while on the boat) to enter the water with fins in hand but none of my great lakes diving (or any other diving for that matter) has seen me enter the water from a boat with fins off. In my opinion (and that is all it is, not trying to change minds) the risk does not outweigh the reward.

Don sorry not so clear, spearfishing, crabbing, filling tanks when writing.

Jtivat, things change in the years, as I think about it this is over 15 years ago.

In 2001 there were not many sea captains, and straits had the only cattle boat, we went and dove a new wreck they found, With a 5 mm no hood or gloves, he grabbed his fins and jumped in. I donned dry suit and fins and jumped in, It was a bit warmer than 6 years prior.

And also the tight waves where in superior, where I always dove more.

My take after weather conditions stopped dives Happening. So Whitefish point was the starting point, go to st Ignace, or Drummond island area, or Munising.

I would also say that diving has changed to a point that divers, do not come up with alternate routes to make the dive. Where as we went out in stormy conditions to save people and boats, the other is to go recover divers that did not make it to the surface.

I have found them only twenty feet from the wreck, to right on top of wreck. Only one time did a diver I found, actually had air in his tank. Not to say the air leaked out slowly, just no air in tanks. They always had there fins on.

This is the first accident I seen in awhile in the great lakes. The vis is so good I think that has helped to get back to anchor.

I often think to go back there, but to dive everyday is more fun than dealing with the wind, and only a few months a year.

Diving this morning in a complete fog out, was easier than diving the great lakes.

Hope deaths stay to a minimum on the great lakes.

I was diving 10 miles south on the Salvor off Muskegon when the accedent happened on the State. The conditions on that day were 3-4' waves at 9:00 am with a moderate sw wind. By noon the wind had died off to a light west wind and at 5:00 pm the wind was light nw with waves 1' or less. the water was low 60's on the surface. Perfect condition's for a dive. As the visibility on the Salvor was clear on surface and 5' on the bottom the State always has good visibility due to it being farther off shore and deeper. The State is my favorate local dive and I have never had poor vis or a current more than 1/2mph.

Don, in the great lakes there is very little current, there is current under the mack bridge, and other areas, not much though. The wave are tight, even on a wide beam and good captain, you will be a rockin when entering water. once in you can pretty easily swim to bouy, anchor line.

To safely giant stride, a lot of times you jump in, then put fins on. so actually like all diving, GL's divers are very quick to put fins on, within 30 seconds.

With a nice platform on back and good handles, problem is with fuel cost, not many boats like that. Mostly 30+' with little door, or roll off. With a boat in a bad position, 3 wave, you got water in boat 6 waves your sinking, 10 waves, your boat ins now a dive site, Known as a great lakes wreck dive.

So they actually have three ways to enter the water.

Now for long deco I can can sick if I watch the line it goes up and down, constantly. A good mooring buoy is great thing, yet they are lost and a lot or work.

Best diving in the world and lucky to get three good months, and to get a good day.

Don go there and dive, you meet divers at boat launch, and you wait till captain says ready to go, sometimes you meet tomorrow.

There are others that go, and they are more than likely on this board and no how to handle most times of weather, but are not taking paying customers.

I also don't follow. What's the purpose of not putting your fins on when jumping in the water? By not having your fins on you're just removed one tool to save yourself if a buoyancy loss issue comes up. Why?

Adam

It's my responsibility to make sure I'm in a dive-ready configuration before stepping off the boat, and I do...the "three breaths of life" (three hard fast breaths looking at the SPG), and make sure the power inflator power-inflates. If something goes wrong, I can ditch weight, turn on gas, or hold my breath and put on my fins. <shrugs>

I take two hard fast breaths while looking at my SPG - this obsessive behaviour saved me once, just before a giant stride off a boat.

A few weeks ago I went diving with a friend who hadn't been in the water for five years. So as not to sound like a know-it-all, I asked her to walk me through her pre-dive checklist. I added a few items and we got set for a dive in a non-condescending manner. I mentioned and carried out two sharp inhalations while looking at my SPG - steady as a rock. She took two sharp inhalations off her reg but didn't glance at her SPG (which was dangling at her side). Now, I had noticed the needle on her SPG jump down and not bounce back with each inhalation, so I asked her to take a third breath. She tried, but got nothing. Lesson learned, problem averted, and a fun dive was had by all.

The only reason I can think of not putting your fins on on the boat is they can dump the cattle faster into the water.

Adam

From mlive.com
No medical or equipment problems to explain scuba diver Timothy Judge's Lake Michigan drowning
Published: Thursday, July 07, 2011, 10:55 AM Updated: Thursday, July 07, 2011, 3:52 PM
By John S. Hausman | Muskegon Chronicle

An autopsy uncovered no medical condition, and experts found no equipment malfunction, to explain the drowning death of state transportation official Timothy Judge while he was preparing to dive on a shipwreck off the White Lake channel in Lake Michigan, Muskegon County's sheriff says.
9773995-small.jpg Timothy Judge

“We'll never truly know, but we'll record it as probably a diver error or a series of errors,” Sheriff Dean Roesler said Thursday.

An autopsy this week by an assistant Muskegon County medical examiner found no medical problems, Roesler said. The cause of death was listed as drowning.

There was also nothing to explain why Judge's buoyancy-compensating vest, which keeps a scuba diver floating until he's ready to dive, was completely without air when he was found. Roesler said experts checked his equipment, and “everything seems to be working properly.”

Judge, 43, drowned around 4 p.m. Saturday in Lake Michigan. He and two other divers were exploring a sunken steam vessel, the State of Michigan, in about 60 feet of water.

Shortly after their boat anchored, Judge went in with most of his dive gear on and his fins in hand. He sank as he struggled to put on his fins, the other divers told sheriff's dive team members who responded to the call for help.

The dive team found his body the next morning.

Judge was manager of the Michigan Department of Transportation's Muskegon Transportation Service Center.

“It's just a tragedy,” Roesler said. “There are a lot of us in law-enforcement circles who worked with Tim and MDOT on highway issues. He was a great guy, very knowledgeable, very personable.”

Judge is survived by his wife, Dawn Judge; his daughters, Becca, Erin and Allison; his parents, Joe and Mary “Betty” Judge; and his sisters, Karen and Kelly Judge.

Matthyse Kuiper DeGraaf Funeral Home of Grandville is handling arrangements for Judge, who was an Allendale resident.

Visitation is set for 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m. Friday at the funeral home, 4145 Chicago Drive, with a vigil at 8 p.m. to share memories.

A final visitation at 10 a.m. Saturday will be followed by a funeral mass at 11 a.m. at St. Pius X Catholic Church, 3937 Wilson SW, Grandville, with the Rev. Chris Rouech officiating.

In lieu of flowers, the family asks that people consider donations to a fund set up for the Judge children at Lake Michigan Credit Union or St. Pius X Catholic Church.
Email: jhausman@muskegonchronicle.com
(The posting of this copyrighted news article is protected under the "Fair-use" doctrine of US copyright laws, which allow the re-use of copyrighted matter, without permission, for reasons such as teaching and criticism of issues related to public health and safety.Click here for a further discussion of the Fair-use doctrine)

I recently had an experience with a new set of fins that were great in the water, but popped off during every giant stride entry in spite of a good fit. Stiffer fins are more likely to do this. I returned mine, but donning in the water could be an option.

As for the rest? It's about forgetting (or ignoring) the basics. Sounds like he missed #1, and #2 and #3 could have saved him. Once you panic and your brain is locked into one course of action (example: try to swim to the surface), simple options like putting the reg in your mouth or inflating your BC don't even occur. He may have had plenty of air, but drowned because something unexpected happened.

1. B = Bouyancy in your vest so you don't sink immediately
2. W = Weights and proper weighting
3. R = Releases including weights
4. A = Air, is it on and adequate pressure?
5. F = Final check

Dack

1. B = Bouyancy in your vest so you don't sink immediately
2. W = Weights and proper weighting
3. R = Releases including weights
4. A = Air, is it on and adequate pressure?
5. F = Final check

Dack

My daughter learned (SDI):

A - Air on - confirmed by breathing ALL regulators (primary, secondary, and Air 2)
B - BC - secured to body, air in bladder, no danglies
C - computer - on, battery life good
D - Da weights (work with me here) - weights in pouches, releases readily available
E - eyes - mask fitted and secure
F - fins - on
G - "good to go"

we do this EVERY time - individually and again as a team (my background is aviation/EMS - not many chances for second chances)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom