Mid Atlantic Diving Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Princess...I'll be at Rawlings a lot this summer as well, I might even get crazy and check out a few other quarries(no warm water this year:( ) We were just discussing an invasion day at Rawlings in the Intro/Greet forum...PM me when you are heading somewhere this year!

Hey Princess...I'll be at Rawlings a lot this summer as well, I might even get crazy and check out a few other quarries(no warm water this year:( ) We were just discussing an invasion day at Rawlings in the Intro/Greet forum...PM me when you are heading somewhere this year!

Will do! I think/hope this thead will be a good way for people to know what other divers in the area are interested in diving locally.

I was certified in July 2007...so this will be my first time diving all [summer] season long. What I would like to know is when does the "wet" season begin?

Around what date is the water warm enough to dive in a 7mm suit (preferably without hood/gloves). Is the date different for Lake Rawlings vs Millbrook because Rawlings is warmer? When does Millbrook open?

What about other locations? Dutch Spring? Bainbridge? Hydes? other...

This might be a stupid question, but I'm still a newbie so cut me some slack. Does the thermocline move? Last summer it was around 27 feet at Millbrook and Lake Rawling's was around 48 feet (according to my log). Logically, it seems like the thermocline should be at a shallower depth earlier in the season.

Also if anyone is interested in buddying up this season let me know. None of my friends dive so I'm always open to buddies. I talked to a few people this winter that need buddies too, but I plan to dive a lot this summer so the more potential buddies the better. (I have 23 dives under my belt right now)

I dive at Dutch Springs starting on Memorial Day weekend each year. A group from our dive shop goes to Dutch Springs the Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends.

Dutch Springs is a 4.5 hours drive from Western Massachusetts.

At Dutch Springs the temperature drops 100 for every 30 feet of depth.

At the bus (50 feet) at Dutch Springs the temperature is in the low 50's on Memorial Day weekend. I have always used my custom WetWear 5mm shorty over my custom WetWear 5 mm jump suit.

My wife is wearing a 7 mm Bare jump suit with a 7 mm step-in hood.

My daughter was wearing a 7mm farmer Jane until last year when she used a rented 7 mm Pinnacle Elastoprene.

The water is somewhat warmer on Labor Day weekend but I don't remember the temperatures on Labor Day weekends.

Hopefully this is helpful.

Hey DP,
We have an AOW/ Drysuit class at Dutch on the DUI Demo weekend. I'll be up there on Sunday
if you need a buddy.

I could use a dry suit class mind PMing me the info.

Well, as DP has not yet dove at Storm, here are some of the good and bad points. It is FREE!!(good point). There is a great cheap restaurant (The stained glass) just down the street. There are some good instructors (meaning they keep an eye on their students), and interesting divers that go there. Now, the bad.... it is an altitude dive. Meaning, you are limited to 2 dives unless you want to take a ride.....The vis is bad. The best I have ever seen is 20 ft, a few years ago, during a long long dryspell. The enterence is a pain. There is no cell coverage at the lake itself-you have to go up to the top of the parking lot-very bad in the event of an emergancy. The number of student divers is overwhelming during season. The number of idiots is too- from boaters that disregard dive flags to instructors that need their gear carried and set up for them, to people you have never met using your trucks tailgate to get geared up, and as Aquaman said, suicidal idiots just out of open water diving solo. And as for your question on temps, JRK and I had 47 in the creek bed-off the 90, down the slope-3 weeks ago.
Now for the others...Dutch has a lot to see, vis is good, price is high. A lot of people every place you go, but most of the tech students are respectful of not creating silting issues, and in the deeper parts, thats what you see.
Bainbridge, decent vis, a long list of rules (though I have yet to see the scuba police), good depth, not nearly as much to see as Dutch.
Willow, lots to see, but night diving all day long. Shallow. Good people, kick back attitude.
Guppy Gulch- cheap, cold, most of the stuff was there before it opened as a dive site.
That is it for the main places around here, aside from where TTS gets in. And when we are done getting what we are after we will name the other spots.
My advice is to make sure you have a hood that fits properly. Then, do what my wife did- wear it around for a bit, at the house and in the pool. Once you get used to it, it is easy. As for the gloves, they are definitely needed. But, broken in gloves are easier for new divers (they aren't as warm, but, much easier to operate) The biggest thing with getting cold is this-aside from discomfort- YOU CAN GET BENT!!!! As the circulation drops, the blood flow slows, keeping nitrogen in solution....causing bubbles...taking a ride.
My final word is this. Get to NC or SC. Do some ocean diving. Go with experienced buddies. RAD is a great source of info on VA, and NC. Get nitrox certified. TTS is always happy to have people join us, as long as they can follow basic rules.
-J

E - Count me in!

Sounds like I need to get a hood. I'm still looking at this one (sans the pink):
coldwater_dragon_hood.jpg

I have been to Milbrook, but not Dutch, Storm, or Rawlings. Lots of diving to do when the warm weather gets here!

To answer chain saw's question about deep creek. I think late march through april-may is the best time to dive deep creek. viz is up, no boaters and the fish are starting to move around a good bit. There are some big ones down there.

The last verified dive that went out of ocean city md was in early febuary. The report was same temp top to bottom 35 on top, 35 at 65fsw!!! BRRRRRRR. I declined the invite to crew. Diving out of o.c. or delaware will not really go untill june. Water temps tend to be cool through july. The fall is the best time to dive, no crowds, good vis, good temps, plenty of fish.
Last season we dove untill late november, on the ocean lake with bottom temps in the high 50's at 80fsw.
Eric

I don't get up to Dutch too often, although I hoping to be there for the DUI demo day in May. Basically Dutch Spring and Lake Rawlings are equal distance from my house (3 hours) and if I'm going to drive three hours I usually head south to Rawlings because it's much warmer than Dutch.

From here on Long Island is about same to Dutch, maybe half hour shorter in early AM and an hour longer with traffic in the PM.
3/31/07 was out there and recorded temps from 39F to wopping 40F.

Usually don't get out there unless it is blowing so bad the boats are not sailing, and I am going into withdrawal from not having gotten wet recently.

Rawlings' water temp right now is about 48-49F. It will gradually warm up to about 85-90 at the surface, with the first thermocline (probably low 60s) at around 30 feet. The second thermocline will be down near the bottom and I don't think it ever gets above about 55 degrees. I try to avoid the bottom in the summer when I'm in my 3-mm suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom