Mid Atlantic Diving Season

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i'll have to keep my eye out on this thread as i have been in the northern va area and have not dove locally at all. i usually dive warm water, but might have to suck it up and get out to rawlings or one of the local spots this summer.

also, if anyone is heading down to morhead city/NC for some diving please let me know. great diving down there!

i'll have to keep my eye out on this thread as i have been in the northern va area and have not dove locally at all. i usually dive warm water, but might have to suck it up and get out to rawlings or one of the local spots this summer.

also, if anyone is heading down to morhead city/NC for some diving please let me know. great diving down there!

Rawlings is way better, but Millbrook is closer. You should check them both out this summer. I am planning to go down to NC this summer as well (my first time there), but I'll probably wait until my LDS organizes a trip.

We have a trip in June to Morehead that has a few openings if anyone is interested.
Dates are from June 13- June 15. We'll be diving with Bobby Cox and the Diver Down.
DP, I'm going on this one if your shop doesn't book one and you need a buddy.

About the thermoclines, yes, they do vary with air temps. Because as the air temp rises the surface water temp. rises. This pushes the thermocline deeper as the air temp increases (except where the area is fed by an underground spring... or where the water is stirred by nature or man-made devices[Mt. Storm] or there is an inversion).

I'll be at Mt Storm on Good Friday if anyone wants to come down. I go every year since I have the day off from work. Usually get there between 11 and noon for a couple dives. If it's nice and I can get off early thursday I'll go down thurs evening and do a night dive then be back at the lake friday am around 9 or so. And BTW if you watch your profiles I've done as many as five dives a day there. Just need to use altitude tables or have a comp that adjusts automatically.

Jim can you reply to this thread and let us know what the water temps are when you go? I want to start diving there in April if its warm enough. Thanks!!

Jim, yeah I agree on the profile thing, but didn't want to see a bunch of people going up there, diving deep, not adjusting for altitude, thinking everything will be fine.....so, doing more than 2 without making serious adjustments is well, bad. You add that to the remote location, lack of facilities, and it is a recipe for disaster. And I know of one instructor who gets skin bent up there, a lot.
As for the Morehead thing, we have a trip on the Mutiny, last weekend in July. I won't comment on the Bobby Cox thing.....
-J

As for the Morehead thing:
Yeah, I don't think I'd want to wear a Diver Down t-shirt on the Mutiny or vice versa. Both operations are probably fine. I can't comment for sure since I've only been out one one, but wouldn't hesitate to go on the other if they were going where I wanted to go.

Jim can you reply to this thread and let us know what the water temps are when you go? I want to start diving there in April if its warm enough. Thanks!!

Will do.

All of you talking about diving in Morehead City are upsetting me. I was stationed there for 3 years, but didn't get into diving until I came here to Guam. I've read a lot of interesting articles on the wrecks in NC and wish I would have done my cert in NC. I have just received orders to Norfolk, VA, so I'll be looking into doing some colder water diving(atleast colder than what I'm used to). I still have a lot of friends in Morehead where I lived, so I'll never have to pay for a hotel. I can make the drive from Norfolk in 2 and a half hours.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom