Mid-May Diving in Belize + Whale Sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shallingsam

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I would like to take a trip out to Belize in the next couple weeks. I just would like to know what operators to choose. I heard that it will be whale shark season and someone told me to go 3 days after the full moon, which would be around the time that I'm interested in going. What operators go for whale sharks? Also, are there any liveaboards or good operators that do multi-day packages? I only have 10 days including 2 days of travel to/from, but I would like to get as much great diving in as possible and see some Mayan ruins. Any suggestions would be appreciated! I will be traveling alone.

Most of your questions can be answered on Splash Divers website. [user]Ralph Capeling[/user] posts siting info here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/478615-whale-sharks-2014-a.html - he's one of the owners. All that activity takes place at Gladden Spit nearby. Some of the Hopkins/Dangriga area resorts will go there also - and some of the south Belize Atoll operators as well. None are particularly close but Placencia at least is a fairly straight ride out.

Here's the dates you have left:
May 14th to May 23rd
June 13th to June 22nd

Scuba with Belize Whale Sharks|Scuba Diving & Accommodation|Splash Dive Center|Placencia Belize Some friends dove with Splash - on two trips they dove with 8 sharks total. Should you want to dive the Blue Hole, Elbow and LighthouseReef, Splash does it as an overnight: Belize Blue Hole and Whale Sharks | Scuba Diving & Accommodation | Splash Dive Center | Placencia Belize They also have an option to stay on Ambergris and dive from there. Boat ride is about an hour shorter. I don't know of any Ambergris operator that goes down to Gladden Spit though - I think it's too far for a day trip.

The problem with the Atoll based operators is they're typically 7 days on the atoll since they only shuttle guests back and forth once or twice per week. So for the Mayan ruins, pick something land-based. Splash also does inland tours - Mayan Ruins, Cockscomb Preserve, Monkey River etc.

Seahorse Dive is also a Placencia option if Splash is booked. Belize Scuba Diving and Snorkeling In Placenica | Seahorse Dive Shop I saw somewhere Avadon Divers recently closed. They were the 3rd Placencia option.

There's an Aggressor and a Dancer based out of Belize City. They dive Lighthouse, the Blue Hole etc. but do not ever go south far enough to encounter whale sharks. I've even called to ask why but there was no real reason given. You'd think they'd be all over that.

Find more info in our Belize sub-forum also: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/belize/

Splash will take care of you right from Belize airport. I have used them before arranging a trip for a single diver with particular needs. It went like clockwork, very impressive company to work with.

Let me if you need help setting it up. For everything else, diversteve has already hit the nail on the head.

Back
Top Bottom