middle keys dive ops/lodging?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JustJules

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all...

I'm looking for recommendations on middle-to-lower keys diving. Most info I find is about Key Largo. I enjoy diving in Key Largo, but I want to branch out.

I'm looking for a dive operator in the middle keys area (maybe Big Pine Key) and for lodging in the same area. I don't need fancy lodging, but I'm also not looking for a campsite. Air conditioning and hot water at the end of the diving day are mandatory.

I would like to dive Looe Key, Sombrero, and maybe Thunderbolt/Adolphus Busch.

Any ideas/recommendations are welcome.

JustJules once bubbled...
Hi all...

I'm looking for recommendations on middle-to-lower keys diving. Most info I find is about Key Largo. I enjoy diving in Key Largo, but I want to branch out.

I'm looking for a dive operator in the middle keys area (maybe Big Pine Key) and for lodging in the same area. I don't need fancy lodging, but I'm also not looking for a campsite. Air conditioning and hot water at the end of the diving day are mandatory.

I would like to dive Looe Key, Sombrero, and maybe Thunderbolt/Adolphus Busch.

Any ideas/recommendations are welcome.

Look up Jim Wyatt
http://reef-divers.com/
I haven't had the pleasure of diving with him, or even meeting him in person, but everyone I know who has dived with his operation gives excellent reviews. And apparently he's a good guy to boot.

John F.

If you consider going as far as Marathon try Abyss Diver Center. They have some great packages with the Holiday Inn, where they are located.

There are two camp grounds that I would recommend. Breezy Pine and what I use to known as the Spanish Inlet camp and fishing lodge (left as you enter into Big Pine going west).

But not too far is the Bahia Honda state park. They have camping any way you like it. They also have a couple of condos for rent.

Jim Wyatt is excellent choice. So is http://www.paradivers.com/ located on Sunshine Key (Ohio Key) just before Bahia Honda.

I have dive with both outfits and they are the best for the type of diving I do.

I second mention that for the middle keys operation try the Abyss dive center in Marathon. I had the pleasure diving with them back in the beginning of July and are top notch operation
If you go Say Hello to Cap't Mike for me

Also you cannot go wrong with Reef-divers in the lower keys which is also a great operation.

You will not go wrong with the two that are mentioned.

Have a blast when you come down to the keys...

Back in July some friends, my family, and I stayed at the Black Fin Resort on Marathon, www.blackfinresort.com, and dove with Tilden's Scuba Center. Prices were very reasonable at the "Resort" - fancy name for a basic motel - and the dive master was good with Tilden's. The good thing is that the dive shop is next door to the motel and in their boat is docked at the dock behind the resort. There is even a small private beach which is nice.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom