Miflex Hose Suggestion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son

Contributor
Reaction score
I've bought some & used them on my new reg set. Only a few dives so far, they seem fine.

But, i do have a suggestion:

Lose the braided cover. For a lot of places, that cover will never be an issue. For those of us who frequently dive on artificial sites, it is.

Up in the FL panhandle, we dive things that were sunk for the purpose of creating diving & fishing sites. bridge span sections, wrecks, etc.

Fishing boats hammer these places. Diving them, entanglement is merely a question of "when", not "if". Bridge spans in particular pose a hazard for divers as they tend to have broken off fishing lines hanging from the top of the structure. These lines have hooks.

The 1st hose I replaced with a miflex was my wing inflator hose. Even without a braided cover, a hook managed to snag it & put a hole in it.

With the braided cover, I can see this happening a LOT easier. Hate to say it, but any hose I replace due to a fish hook in it again will not be a hose with a braided cover.

Fair point I guess

Sounds like horses for courses though - there are already plenty of hoses available without braided covers

According to the manufacturer's (who are not XS scuba - they're just a distributor) website, the braiding shrinks under pressure and is purported to reduce air loss in the event of a breach. They also have a higher burst pressure, which I'm guessing the braiding may contribute to

So, I'd like to see them retained on the miflex hoses - maybe they're just not suitable for the type of diving you describe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom