"Miflex" hoses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How much less do they weigh? My interest in them is weight reduction for travel. N

That is an excellent question.

Without answering directly, I say they are great for travel in that they pack up so much more compactly than traditional hoses. I fit three reg sets in a single Poseidon reg bag.

Aswering partially directly, is to say they are significantly lighter in my uninformed and unsubstantiated opinion. How much I cant say. Couple pounds a reg set maybe? Quite possible they are heavier! I honestly havent checked but I say they are lighter. Maybe someone else has already put them on a scale for a trial. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to put some on a scale at work and get a ballpark.

Guess now its first-hand.

Back to traditional hoses. Love em.

Save your cash and upgrade the wine at dinner.

---
Ken

I can see where a 7ft miflex that you used would have a problem when moving with a scooter, because it will not hold its form and slide all over the place. For the normal set up, the miflex solved the problem that it was design to solve. If you use a 30 inch standard setup and route the hose under your arm, it works find with a scooter. the hose stays put.

Last edited:
I have them on my octo (neon yellow), and inflator. I'm enjoying them *so* much that I'm replacing the swivel hose on my Atomic primary with one. I have less "jaw push" with the miflex on the octo, than the Atomic/swivel combo. Additionally, there is hardly a change in the flexibility, even when pressurized...

Of course, they're also easier to pack. Supposedly, they're tougher and more resistant to abrasion and cuts... however, can't attest to that personally... they're too expensive to tear up to find out...

That is an excellent question.

Without answering directly, I say they are great for travel in that they pack up so much more compactly than traditional hoses. I fit three reg sets in a single Poseidon reg bag.

Aswering partially directly, is to say they are significantly lighter in my uninformed and unsubstantiated opinion. How much I cant say. Couple pounds a reg set maybe? Quite possible they are heavier! I honestly havent checked but I say they are lighter. Maybe someone else has already put them on a scale for a trial. If I get a chance tomorrow I'll try to put some on a scale at work and get a ballpark.

As the hose are to light for my bathroom scale to register, I put a 30" rubber hose up against a 30" miflex on a old fashion level scale. It took two miflex to lift the rubber hose off the table. So they are at least half the weight of the rubber hose. If that helps. :eyebrow:

Last edited:
I have them on my primary and secondary, traditional setup. I bought the 29" hose for my primary, but it's so flexible I could have used a shorter hose. Next Time I'll get the 26" for my primary.
DMdoogie

I read a review about these in a British diving magazine, which was clearly wowed by them* and declared them to be the way of the future - tougher, you can tie them in knots, last longer etc.

XS Scuba Miflex Double Braided Hoses

All sounds great, but has anyone actually used them who can give a more first hand account?

Does anyone still use hose protectors with the Miflex hoses?

Last edited by a moderator:
I read a review about these in a British diving magazine, which was clearly wowed by them* and declared them to be the way of the future - tougher, you can tie them in knots, last longer etc.

All sounds great, but has anyone actually used them who can give a more first hand account?QUOTE]

Yes, but really for looks, :D

All sounds great, but has anyone actually used them who can give a more first hand account?QUOTE]

I have the same question. With the reinforced connections at the fittings, are hose protectors really necessary?

Edited to add: I read in another post that the manufacturer states you do not need hose protectors to extend the life of these hoses.

I bought the Miflex 26" primary hose and also use Miflex for my inflator hose. So far I haven't found any major negatives. Since I used to have a 29" hose for my primary, now when I look to my left I can feel just a little tug on the Miflex hose. If I decide to remove the hose protector, I believe I will have a little more flexibility because the hose will route more directly to my mouth by staying closer to my head.

Any comments from real-life experiences?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I had the 22" Miflex on my primary, which was just long enough. I switched it to the 26" hose to allow a little more room for air sharing, and went to a 36" Miflex on the secondary.

I'm happy with the routing so far, very comfy.

-B

Back
Top Bottom