Miflex HP failure (again!)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miflex was on here looking at this 15hrs ago.

Dobber.

I wrote them another email actually, as I had been in contact with them after the last one.

The shop I bought the hoses from offered me free rubber hose replacements to be sent to me so going back to them.

With so many reports I'm surprised Miflex does not recall them. If someone is hurt because of this they'll be exposed to lawsuits. On the other hand it's important to report the failures to Miflex so they can't claim they're not aware of the problem.

Adam

Thanks for posting the pics Sas!
It looks like the common failure point between all the failures is at the crimped end. Is the middle of the hose a point of wear on your setup or did that happen at the same time that the end blew? I only ask because of the similarities of both your failures.

Thanks for posting the pics Sas!
It looks like the common failure point between all the failures is at the crimped end. Is the middle of the hose a point of wear on your setup or did that happen at the same time that the end blew? I only ask because of the similarities of both your failures.

No there is no particular wear on the middle of the hose and it burst there at the same time as the crimp. Before that it did not look like it had any wear at all.

The hoses were on two different sets of gear too - one is my doubles setup and one is my singles setup.

I have MiFlex on my inflator, primary, and octo. Standard hose on my SPG... no HP MiFlex, and haven't had any issues after a couple hundred dives with them.

The LP MiFlex hoses do what I want (no jaw push when pressurized -- even replaced an Atomic B2 swivel hose with a MiFlex), so I'll be sticking with them. The LP components *are* redundant, so it's not a major concern to me enough to sacrifice the benefits I get.

I'm sorry to hear the HP hoses are having issues, and fortunately, the HP's don't run to the immediately critical components (rather to SPG's, integrated air computers, etc.).

I'll be watching, as well, for MiFlex's response...

I just bought a setup with all Miflex hoses and apex flight , so i guess i need a reg HP hose, anyone got one for me? Ill trade you a miflex one....

Because of threads like this about the HP Miflex Hoses I went with a Innovative SCUBA Concepts Phantom HP hose from Dive Gear Express. From comparison posts it has a larger outer diameter like a regular hose, to fit boots and consoles better, and apparently will still swivel under pressure.

+1 for the Phantom HP hose. I could never get used to the MiFlex HP hose and mentioned it to my LDS guy last year. He suggested the Phantom and it's worked out great.

I wonder why they don't get the same publicity as MyFlex?

In any case, I'm glad I swapped it out as the MyFlex HP sounds like a blowout waiting to happen. I'm still a fan of their LP hoses, but MyFlex needs to take their HP hose back to the drawing board.

I also just experienced a Miflex HP hose failure. I was within 30 seconds of exiting the dive boat for a 90' dive. Could have been ugly if it happened 2 minutes later.

I also just experienced a Miflex HP hose failure. I was within 30 seconds of exiting the dive boat for a 90' dive. Could have been ugly if it happened 2 minutes later.

Hvr4fun I'm curious:
Was your Miflex HP hose of the older or newer style? And where on the hose did it blow out? The older style has fully visible metal ferrules (where the hose enters the fittings on each end), whereas the newer one is (supposedly) improved by having rubber/plastic strain-relief boots covering the ferrule. I'm curious if that has affected the rate of blow-out.

Here is the older style:
miflex older style.jpg

And the newer:
miflex newer style.jpg

And they say I am crazy to continue to dive my 35 year old regulators and hoses that have never had a failure.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom