Mighty Mite anchor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OBXDIVEGUY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Anyone have any luck with these? I read that if you strictly use it for hooking into wrecks, you don't need the weight. In that case, do you think the 8# one would be ok for a 21' boat?

West Marine Mighty Mite anchor

Anyone have any luck with these? I read that if you strictly use it for hooking into wrecks, you don't need the weight. In that case, do you think the 8# one would be ok for a 21' boat?

I have one, and have used it for hooking wrecks a few times, but have found that it doesn't work very well if there is any significant current or swell. It will pop off fairly easily. We seem to have better luck with a standard anchor and chain, which we tie off to the wreck while diving, and then move and partially inflate a lift bag on before ascending (makes the anchor MUCH easier to recover).

I think it would work well for snagging a wreck and running a shot line, but I wouldn't leave my boat on it.

I have not used that particular grapple but I also have not had good luck with them (grapples). I have better luck with a standard Fortress/Hooker type and chain. Once on the wreck I make sure my anchor is set well before proceeding. I have in the past had a clip tied into the anchor line about ten feet above the chain to clip in with but I don't like that now. I just pick up my little 8 pound and wrap it around something. Course, you got to hit the wreck with the anchor or right by it. For bottom fishing I get down current and drop and for diving I often get up current and drop anchor. Don't know if that is right or wrong but it is what I have done.

IMG_0431.jpg

I don't usually buy anchors, I just get all of the ones cut off and laying about, I have several dozen now assorted, some still with the price tag.

N

8 pounds seems too light for a 21' boat. The 16-pounder might be better for snagging especially if there's any current.
After grappling onto the wreck, you oughta take another line down with you to tie into the wreck or use a length of chain on the snagger. I sure wouldn't want to trust a Mighty Mite alone to hold a boat for an hour.

On very calm days I have used a 12/0 weighted treble hook to hold my 31 foot 18,000 pound boat in 60 feet of water. When I was ready to leave I simply powered off and let the 100 pound test line break. But in any sort of wind, current or sea you need weight.
Before I can answer your question, I need to know how deep the water is where you are anchoring? What conditions you'd want to handle? What is the ground composition around the wreck? How much rode to you have & what scope you plan on letting out? How much chain on your rode?
Contrary to popular belief, it is the chain that gets an anchor to the bottom and properly situated. I have anchored on over 600 feet of water using 1,000 feet of line, but I had to move up to 50' of chain with a 26 pound anchor. I had 25' of chain but we let out all 1,000 feet of rode and the anchor never hit bottom. The 50 did the trick. Since then I scaled down my anchor line to a thinner 1/4" too. I was using 1/2" and this just grabbed too much current (& used up a ton of space in my anchor locker). So I would add, what is the diameter of your anchor line?
Also, with a grappling anchor such as you are asking about you typically use far less chain. I have 6 foot on mine. But my wreck anchor is a home made monster that weighs around 25 pounds.

Without answers to my questions, I would say with 6 foot of chain (that will also help protect you against loss due to scraping on sharp objects) this anchor should be ok in calm conditions. But if a boat comes by and wakes you, it may pull out without a bit of scope.

Well, that is an interesting procedure. :0 How do you get the fish hook onto the wreck and how do you recover the broken line to prevent it from fouling others? Guess I will be looking for all of your 12/0 hooks to add to my anchor/bait/lure/hook/tin can/glass bottle/trash collection ---> :wink:

N

Well, that is an interesting procedure. :0 How do you get the fish hook onto the wreck and how do you recover the broken line to prevent it from fouling others? Guess I will be looking for all of your 12/0 hooks to add to my anchor/bait/lure/hook/tin can/glass bottle/trash collection ---> :wink:

N

hahaha... with a 31 foot boat it isn't something I can do often. The line parts at the knot. This is the weak link. I purposely tie a regular overhand knot which is around 50% of test. As I said I use a rod & reel spooled with 100 pound test. I set the drag around 60 pounds and once snagged put the rod in a rod holder. It isn't a great method and not for every day but man it sure is easier than worrying about anchor retrieval off of a wreck (I dont yet dive-but am working on it).
These hooks cost around $4 each and I consider them expendable. My anchors cost around $50 to $100 plus shackles & chain. Loosing this just plain hurts. And once you loose around $200 you save the danforths for open bottom.
By the way, I got this idea form someone else and the only reason I ever considered it is on calm days while drifting wrecks when someone gets snagged even with lighter line around 20 to 30 lb test it has held the boat in place until the angler can free it or break off. A treble hook is sure to snag something like a wreck.
If your boat is smaller you should be able to get away with this on days with a little wind. You do need a rod tho so the wave action can be absorbed by the flexing of the rod.
I will also add that if the wind kicks up unexpectedly it gives everyone on board something to talk about as the rod, reel and line makes all sorts of interesting sounds like Jimi Hendrix is back and practicing before it gives up.

SkipperJohn, I would never had thunk of that. :) N

Nether would I
... love the Board for these useful tidbits :)

Back
Top Bottom