Mike goes through the new KISS Go

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But still seems strange as KISS has a much better reputation than DT has among their target market.

I mean, they are calling it a "recreational" rebreather (whatever that means). So maybe a slightly different market? Not sure.

It is NOT a KISS product. It is a Dive Talk product.

“…it’s not a KISS product. It’s a Dive Talk product. Our first rebreather”

Direct quote from Gus of Dive Talk on a FB page. Maybe time to change the name of the thread.

I mean, they are calling it a "recreational" rebreather (whatever that means). So maybe a slightly different market? Not sure.

This is partly answered in the video that was shared. Technology has advanced and, like with all technology, the point of entry lowers. This is due to cost and complexity coming down.

Rec divers in CCRs, what could possibly go wrong?

The same thing that would go wrong if any untrained diver of any skill level went and purchased a "tech" CCR?

🤷‍♂️

I thought the dive community was past the tech-jock-bro phase.

Really, what is wrong with diving a CCR at recreational limits? I know that many underwater photographers and videographers would love to not be blowing bubbles. Yet, they may not be able to justify the current cost of the typical CCR.

All in all, any CCR requires training and certification. It doesn't matter if you are a lowly rec diver or a tech-jock-bro, if you aren't trained on a CCR, don't use it. As with any SCUBA equipment.

I have a C96 o2 unit and this kind of reminds me of it. I dig the evolution in the computers. Not sure I dig the counterlung setup. Could clean up the o2 hoses by moving to an integrated pushbutton type thing like c96 or LAR. Is o2 addition manual? Does the computer vibrate or buzz? Definitely could be cool.

I think the aqulung unit that is like the lar v is really the unit to clone for rec market, it looks neat.

The same thing that would go wrong if any untrained diver of any skill level went and purchased a "tech" CCR?

🤷‍♂️

Really, what is wrong with diving a CCR at recreational limits? I know that many underwater photographers and videographers would love to not be blowing bubbles. Yet, they may not be able to justify the current cost of the typical CCR.

All in all, any CCR requires training and certification. It doesn't matter if you are a lowly rec diver or a tech-jock-bro, if you aren't trained on a CCR, don't use it. As with any SCUBA equipment.
Because by and large humanity is dumber than a box of rocks. 10s of thousands of people believe the earth is flat with an ice wall at the edge and that dinosaurs lived contemporaneously with people 5,000 years ago. This also extends to diving where people refuse evidence based best practices or continue to believe in "bro-science" about helium rules of 1/5ths, or that gas density doesn't apply to them, or that they can acclimatize themselves to narcosis. There are whole agencies that perpetuate these falsehoods (and more) and the dive industry is terrible at screening out the idiocracy both within instructor ranks and in students. Some of these poor practices the DT boneheads themselves perpetuate.

Open circuit by and large "fails safer" than CCRs which keeps some of the dingbats conscious and breathing. The higher cost of CCRs is a barrier keeping at least some of these people who aren't dedicated to actually learning and following evidence based safer practices alive.

This is partly answered in the video that was shared. Technology has advanced and, like with all technology, the point of entry lowers. This is due to cost and complexity coming down.

🤷‍♂️

I think any properly trained CCR diver is a "tech diver". The training and mindset required fits this description IMHO.

That said, I would proudly also describe myself at a "recreational limits" CCR diver. I don't typically dive below 150ft and I don't cave dive. I'm am happy to go into deco if the dive goals require it, but I'm unlikely to do a dive that results in more the 10 minutes of hang time. I routinely do dives in the 60-120 minute range that don't result in deco.

I've been diving almost exclusively on CCR for 17 years now with probably 1,500 rebreather dives. I only dive OC on occasional trips where CCR is not easily supported. I live in the Puget Sound area and generally make 2-3 dives a week, all on CCR.

I routinely do dives in the 60-120 minute range that don't result in deco.
I think we live in an ideal location for recreational limit rebreather diving because of the steep beaches. Most of my dives, I drop to 120' for a short time before heading up to 50'-75' for the rest of the dive. The 120' part of the dive makes it so I can't use a decent nitrox mix that would help extend bottom time so the NDL usually sets the pace of the rest of the dive. On a rebreather, you could stay at a 1.2 ppo2 even at 50' and the total bottom time could be much longer without going into deco.

Back
Top Bottom