Military guys - which thermal gear under drysuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Armymutt25A

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you're like me, you probably have a bunch of different thermal gear issued to you. I bought a Pinnacle Black Ice, which has the merino lining for a bit of warmth. Don't have the cash for proper drysuit underwear right now. Looking for advice on which articles of issued gear would be best for various temps. In my inventory, I have the following:
Old style poly pro that doesn't really keep you warm anyway
Black and tan ninja suits that are pretty warm
tan waffle suit that looks warm - haven't tried it
old black "bear suit"
Gen 4 suit that makes me look like the Michellan Man

I think the bear suit is looking to be the best for really cold water with the waffle suit and ninja suit handling the less chilly stuff.

I am not enlisted in the military, but under my trilam drysuit I wear a sport wicking-T-shirt and any combination of polartec and polar fleece that I need. I have dived between 80F and 34F with the same suit, different undergarments. None of the undergarments are from a suit manufacturer - all came from sporting good stores. Admittedly I have only 50 dives on the suit and I am a new diver, but I love the ability to peel apart my undergarments to allow condensation to disperse more rapidly during surface intervals.

New Gortex Gen III ECW, or Bear Suit, is almost the exact same thing as thermal protection bought for Dry Suits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom