Mine Diving, Europe only activity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mulla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi All,

Been browsing youtube lately and watched a couple of mine diving videos. I've never had much interest in cave diving, but seeing ladders, tracks, mine carts, miner's quarters, left over equipment has got me interested in experiencing it for once in my life.

I have yet to do any training for this, but was wondering if mine diving is limited in Europe (due to lack of natural caves?). Or is there other parts of the world where it can be done? Any suggestions? Pref in Australia / Asia regions.

Also, I suppose the cavern / cave certs are required to dive mine's? Or is there yet a different set of training?

Thanks in advance.

In the US (Missouri) the Bonne Terre Mine is a very popular dive site.

Bonne Terre Mine

It is on my 2013 things to do list.

Many mines are off limits to divers as they are privately owned. In the US there is the aforementioned Bonne Terre thought I'd never dive there due to their business practices. But unlike caves that in some cases have been stable for hundreds and perhaps thousands of year, mines are often unstable and veritable death traps. Depending on the type. Much of the US is old coal mines in the east near me. Only a fool would venture into them for recreation. A divers bubbles could bring down the roof. Limestone mines are somewhat more stable but like any cave venturing in without cave training is a good way to get dead quick. Overheads require training, gear, experience, and a different mindset than OW. Until you get that training please stay out of them. What may look perfectly benign can kill you in a heartbeat.

Oldbear, Bonne Terre does look interesting. The ability to do the course right onsite does look appealing.

Jim Lapenta, hm... is there something about the Bonne Terre operation that I should be aware of? Maybe a PM to avoid offending anyone?

Just to clarify. I do plan to undergo appropriate training before I take this on. Fully understand the dangers of overhead environment diving. Just thinking of something I can aspire to and gradually work towards. I don't see myself being ready for overhead diving for some time to come.

In the US, Bonne Terre is the only one I've ever seen written about, though quarries abound. Of note, two years ago, 2 died diving an open pit mine in the California Sierras.

The cave diving is primarily Florida and the Yucatan peninsula.

As for lack of caves in Europe, I think not. Cave diving has its origins in the UK. Martyn Farr's 1991 book "The Darkness Beckons" is about its history and development. He also mentions Mainland locations in France, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, and the Canary Islands.

I would expect that Cave Diving cert to be an absolute "must". It would be foolish to do otherwise. Unlike cats, humans have only one life.

As for lack of caves in Europe, I think not. Cave diving has its origins in the UK. Martyn Farr's 1991 book "The Darkness Beckons" is about its history and development. He also mentions Mainland locations in France, Switzerland, Germany, Russia, and the Canary Islands.
You could add to that list many other European countries as well, e.g. Spain, Italy, Hungary and Norway.
However, there are also countries without any natural caves at all, e.g. Finland. Instead, we Finns go cave diving in mines. There are about half a dozen mines that are regularly dived. A mine called Ojamo is the best known one. It has diveable mine tunnels ranging from 20m/60ft level all the way down to 238m/700ft depth.

The minimum dive certification for mine diving is "Intro to Cave" or "Mine Diver", but you may consider continuing to "Full Cave Diver" or "Technical Cave Diver". Also rebreather training is one consideration.

Personally I do not know Bonne Terre, but based on their web pages, it would seem to be open water guided theme park diving in a mine environment with direct access to the surface at all times. Minimum 12 years and open water C-card. Likewise based on respective web pages, LaMotte seems to have real mine diving for suitably qualified divers i.e. proper cave diving certs.

Mulla, you might want to contact the Cave Divers Association of Australia for further information about training and dive sites near you. Cave Divers Association of Australia | Incorporated in South Australia

Jim Lapenta:Why throw mudballs at Bonne Terre Mine.You say that you don't approve of their business practices but you don't say what they do that doesn't meet your standards.I have been going to the mine for years and I think I speak for many satisfied Bonne Terre Mine divers when I say "You sir don't have a clue what you are talking about".Bonne Terre Mine is world class diving.The staff treats all divers with respect and after a few trips they treat you like family.How many dives have you done at Bonne Terre Mine.Whats that you say,I can't hear you {crickets chirping}.Well I have done 80 dives there and the staff runs a very safe operation.

South Africa would be a country where many of the caves are closed to diving (because of some fatalities in the 70s and 80s). So instead the primary destination for cave divers is Komati Springs which is an abandoned asbestos mine.

Cave training is pretty much a must for the location.

image027.jpg image036.jpg

Mine diving can be and frequently is ALOT more dangerous than cave diving. They were rarely made in stable parent materials in the first place and whatever shoring was installed is obviously in a dubious state of repair if they have since been abandoned and flooded.

That said, there are numerous divable mines here in the US other than the Bonne Terre one. Most are in the upper midwest like Wisconsin, so its cold water. Because of the way our 1872 mining law was written, most mines of any size will have been "patented" which means that the public land was given to the mine developer because they invested a certain amount of resources extracting minerals. Thus, most US mines (flooded or not) big enough to enter will be found on private land which presents numerous obstacles to diving them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom