Mine LaMotte - The Offsets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bsigmund

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone been there this year? I am contemplating a trip in the next couple of weeks and was wondering about viz.

I haev been there once this year and the vis was decent at around 15 - 20ft of vis. This was before all the kids started swiming, drinking, jumping, peeing, and what ever else they do in the water there. I have no idea what it would be like now. Let me know when you are going to head down there and I may make a trip down as well...

Phil

I was diving with Phil, but remember vis being a little worse. When I was there in March, it was pretty good though. If you go, PM me. I also have a map I made this spring. I can mail you a copy.

Tom

OK, OK so maybe it really was only 14-19ft of vis...

Actually looking back at my log I had written down 10ft but had a note that the vis opened up in pockets. All of this was in the cavernarea, we did not dive the open quarry that day.

I just saw Mine LaMotte on the news last night. The story can been seen here

Phil

Hey Phil, as to the news story, I hope she wins and they shutdown. Maybe an enterprising diver could purchase the area cheaply and start a diving only environment. Sink some platforms and have classes there. I'll let you know when I plan to head down.

Tom, I remember you mentioning last year that you were planning to map it out. Did you finish your DM?

Thanks Phil for the update.

I've been there and (as a Safety Director), yes, there are issues. It will be interesting to see what happens here. I agree the place is an absolute death trap for drunkin kids. As I was waiting in the water before a dive there, I witnessed a drunken kid just about fall off the cliff. He did kinda a staggering step and at the last minute dove back away from the ledge. I really thought I was going to do a rescue dive for minute.

The owner is in a tough spot. The money maker is the kids not the divers. It would be a great place for divers, but they don't provide the revenue the kids do. It's going to be real interesting here to see just how much the liability waiver protects the owner. I do think that some things could be done to make the place a lot safer for everybody and expect that if this goes to court that many of these things will come up.

Snagel

Not done yet. Scheduling wasn't working with my old instructor. He only teaches like two classes a year anyway.

If the cliff jumpers go away from the Offsets, I doubt it will be open to scuba divers anymore.

Tom

The Lake of the Ozark's is a death trap for drunken boaters.
The Huzzah River is a death trap for drunken canoers.
Colorado is a death trap for drunken boarders.
East St. Louis is just a death trap. But it's prolly worse if you're drunk!
Cancun is - at the very least - an STD trap for drunken horny teens...

There seems to be a pattern here, I just can't quite make it out--maybe I'm too drunk!
icon_biggrin.gif

P.S. I want 2 go 2 MLM sooooooon

(<----Packman---->)

Back
Top Bottom