mini dv or mini dvd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d56nut

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

Trying to decide between the Sony DVD92 (mini dvd) or the Sony HC42 (mini dv).

I understand that we will only get 30 minutes of record time with the DVD92 vs. 60 Minutes with the HC42 Mini DV tapes. We don't have a problem with this. However, I have a few other questions:

1. Editing....I know we will have to edit our footage and then we'll burn to a DVD. What are the pros and cons of the Mini DVD's and the Mini DV TAPES? I will have either Final Cut Pro 4, Ulead Movie Factory or Pinnacle Studio Polus Version 9 (any advice here would also be appreciated).

2. If we decide to go with the DVD92....how hard/dangerous would be to put in a new mini dvd between dives? If it's no big deal then that's great. If it is a big deal, it's no problem as hubby can just switch to his digital camera (handycam on one dive, digital camera on the other).

Any other info/suggestions on the Sony HC42 and/or the Sony DVD92 is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michelle & Rick Hart

d56nut:
Hi All,

Trying to decide between the Sony DVD92 (mini dvd) or the Sony HC42 (mini dv).

I understand that we will only get 30 minutes of record time with the DVD92 vs. 60 Minutes with the HC42 Mini DV tapes. We don't have a problem with this. However, I have a few other questions:

1. Editing....I know we will have to edit our footage and then we'll burn to a DVD. What are the pros and cons of the Mini DVD's and the Mini DV TAPES? I will have either Final Cut Pro 4, Ulead Movie Factory or Pinnacle Studio Polus Version 9 (any advice here would also be appreciated).

2. If we decide to go with the DVD92....how hard/dangerous would be to put in a new mini dvd between dives? If it's no big deal then that's great. If it is a big deal, it's no problem as hubby can just switch to his digital camera (handycam on one dive, digital camera on the other).

Any other info/suggestions on the Sony HC42 and/or the Sony DVD92 is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Michelle & Rick Hart

Mini-DV every time. And that is even a compromise.

If you have a choice, FCP is one of the best editors out there. I'd choose that over anythng else you listed.

The problem is that DVD records mpeg2. Which is a highly compressed format, and really not suitable for editing directly. So it has to be converted to an intermmediate format, then editied, and then converted BACK to mpeg2 for DVD use. Since mpeg is lossy, your video gets worse every time you do this.

Personally, I would prefer to shoot with the best equipment I could afford. And mini-DVD isn't it.

Best of luck.

My advice: listen to PerroneFord. Don't buy that DVD camcorder.

1. Too much loss in quality through the compression onto the DVD.
2. If batteries fail before DVD writing is "closed" whole disc is useless.
3. 60 minutes is usually enough for one diving day, 30 minutes is probably not enough.

Try to avoid ever opening your housing on a boat, unless you have a dry, clean, bright, stable place to do it. And you have the time to rinse and dry the housing and carefully inspect the seal when closing it again.

I second the vote for FCP. If price is an issue, look at Final Cut Express - all the essential features at 1/4 the price...

Regards
Peter

Back
Top Bottom