Mini-Season is Far More Dangerous than Shark Feeding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I enjoyed the irony. Well, hypocrisy would be more like it. It's like those articles that note things people are afraid of (e.g.: shark attack, lightning strike, venomous snake), then talk about how, in the U.S., your bathroom is much deadlier by comparison. Then throw on the politics, and a publicly popular 'sporting event' gets hyped, but an unpopular one lambasted as dangerous and fool-hardy.

I've seen t.v. commercials claiming smoking has 1 chance in 4 of killing a smoker (I don't know whether that's accurate); wonder how many anti-shark feeding people are smokers?

Richard.

Mini-Season is Far More Dangerous than Shark Feeding

In order to make this claim wouldn't a reasonable person need to determine the number of participants in each activity versus the number of fatalities or injuries? I'm sure many more people die while riding in buses each year in the US than get killed by base jumping with wing suits... So we are to say base jumping is safe and our public transportation system should be banned because it is too "dangerous".
I always wanted to try base jumping.

But since I am afraid of the dark I never tried it.

I guess if I took my snorkel along I would be safe, right.

I always wanted to try base jumping.

But since I am afraid of the dark I never tried it.

I guess if I took my snorkel along I would be safe, right.

What side are you planing to wear the snorkel?

There is one thing that is sort of right. Some people will take chances to get that last lobster and that will put them in a bad spot which they might not survive but that is the responsibility of that diver. I don't want FWC outlawing lobster season because one person screws up. BTW, last year no one died. We don't ban cars because people are injured or killed by not paying attention. Its your own responsibility to make sure you don't do something stupid. Not FWC.

---------- Post added July 31st, 2014 at 09:35 PM ----------

Doug, I saw your last post and I see what your saying now. Yes, I remember all the fear mongering in Palm Beach County with the shark feeding a few years ago. There was no rise in attacks either before or after the ban. It had to do with all those shark attacks in Volusia county and in the Gulf. People want to find something to blame and found shark feeding the easiest. Now they want to ban shark fishing off piers and the beach. They think the people feeding them are attracting them like pigeons but we know that they have always been right there off the beach. The number of attacks are still low and consistent.
Now, having said that, its not FWC making the laws, its the knee jerk reactions by politicians who don't know any better. I still stand by what i said about mini season. Its the responsibility of the diver .

EDIT: (Self Deleted comments directly to OP. Same things others have said regarding his attack on the mini season, but I was a bit harsh .)

BTW, FWC officers were definitely out and about this week - partly for enforcement but mainly trying to keep the Captain Budweisers from running over the divers who were in the water for the first time in a year with their grandpa's gear...happy because they had air left over in their cylinder from last year and saved a buck on a refill ...and with Capt. Bud all excited that the engine fired up on his boat after sitting unused for 11 months. My impression is that from the officers' standpoints, the entire mini-season is a pain in the ass they would cheerfully forgo. I'm sure they saved a few divers from getting hurt or worse.

...and special kudos to the dive shops who offered free refresher clinics this year. I'm sure they saved some lives, too.

Condolences to the family and friends of young Mr. Grosso. May he rest in peace. I'm sorry for your loss and glad there were no others.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:00 AM ----------

Probably strapped to the left side of my scooter.

Then according to the DIR crowd, you're definitely gonna die.

Last edited:
I agree.

We will all die at some point. I just hope it is in a manner that is both dignified and appalling to the civilized world.

EDIT: (Self Deleted comments directly to OP. Same things others have said regarding his attack on the mini season, but I was a bit harsh .)

BTW, FWC officers were definitely out and about this week - partly for enforcement but mainly trying to keep the Captain Budweisers from running over the divers who were in the water for the first time in a year with their grandpa's gear...happy because they had air left over in their cylinder from last year and saved a buck on a refill ...and with Capt. Bud all excited that the engine fired up on his boat after sitting unused for 11 months. My impression is that from the officers' standpoints, the entire mini-season is a pain in the ass they would cheerfully forgo. I'm sure they saved a few divers from getting hurt or worse.

...and special kudos to the dive shops who offered free refresher clinics this year. I'm sure they saved some lives, too.

Condolences to the family and friends of young Mr. Grosso. May he rest in peace. I'm sorry for your loss and glad there were no others.

---------- Post added August 1st, 2014 at 12:00 AM ----------

Then according to the DIR crowd, you're definitely gonna die.

FYI, the original post wasn't an attack on mini season, it was sarcasm to make a point about shark feeding dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Granted, mini-season is more dangerous than shark feeding. By the same token, jumping in front of a speeding train is more dangerous than sticking your hand in a running garbage disposal. That doesn't make sticking your hand in the disposal a good idea though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom