Mini season takes its toll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anybody have any info on the the death of two divers during the mini season. One was in Boynton and the other in Key Largo, other than suspected heart attcs.

Boyton -----Heart attack

Keyes ----- undetermined

Free diver ----- Missing

Check the Sun Sentinel site

Shame, my prays go out to them.

I tell my students in their rescue class about mini season...For so many people that's their only dives all year and they are simply not in shape and equipment not up to par...One skill I teach is rescuing a victim with a failed BC and emphasize a tired swimmers carry if the BC works

I won't even go do mini season because of all the unprepared divers out there. They are scary to say the least. Its a shame that people are willing to go get themselves killed over something you can go buy at the store.

I have always thought that the best time to dive the Keys are the days inbetween the ending of the mini season & the begining of the regular season. Nice & quiet then.

I'm reluctant to dive during mini season as well. It's just too dangerous. Your chances of injury increase tremendously. I don't even want to talk about that mid-western farmer operating a rental boat. Dive flag? What dive flag? You could get your head knocked off out there.

Had this conversation loads of times , but hear goes ........ It need to be banned , I know its a big winner $$ wise but the damage in human life ( I know you cant help stupid) it causes year in and year out is unacceptiable , not to mention the damage it does to the reefs . For god sakes you can hunt the damn things almost year round , why have 2 openings days ? at the very least limit the licensing to FL residence only ,to atleast cut down on some the the yahoo's towning boats down from every freakin state in the union who mostly have neve been in the water down here .

I did one dive during mini season. Day one, late afternoon and in a spot near a bridge where no boats went by all day. Mostly shorts there but shorts grow up.

So no one died on day two?

Honestly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I've seen opening day for trout on lakes with way more congestion and insanity.

Had this conversation loads of times , but hear goes ........ It need to be banned , I know its a big winner $$ wise but the damage in human life ( I know you cant help stupid) it causes year in and year out is unacceptiable , not to mention the damage it does to the reefs . For god sakes you can hunt the damn things almost year round , why have 2 openings days ? at the very least limit the licensing to FL residence only ,to atleast cut down on some the the yahoo's towning boats down from every freakin state in the union who mostly have neve been in the water down here .

I think I could get behind this.... provided the recreational and commercial start dates coincided....

The problem, in some areas, there is a massive influx of tourism dollars associated with miniseason... I don't think they are going to get behind it....

You are correct the local Chambers will never get behind it , specifically because of the dollars it brings in , the state wont get behind a tag systems because they would lose money on short term licenses. but .... to their benefit look at what they have done by reducing the takes on the rec side. What I would truly like to see is if they are going to keep mini in place is limit or exclude other states , I think the by taking out of state boaters/divers out of the mix it would help (note I did not say eliminate )with some of the problems that have been seen with folks running aground , and not truly understanding the damage that this does every year .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom