Minimalist Configuration, where to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks like an awfully good deal. I would be wary of the Miflex HP hose -- they have quite a reputation for failure. I wouldn't personally choose that backup regulator, but it will probably do fine for basic recreational diving. You can put any regulator on a necklace, so long as it has a mouthpiece. Getting the camband weight pouches with the package is a nice touch.

You won't need the padding, either on the plate or on the strap, but it won't hurt anything. But do not assume that difference pieces of backplate setups from different manufacturers are compatible -- it's all in how they affix to the plate, and different plates have different patterns of slots and holes. Some things just don't work together.

I see halcyon setups on Craigslist occasionally here. The best thing would be to buy a steel bp and wing on eBay or cl. Them order a new webbing setup for it at $20 or so and if you get a doubles wing, sell it and buy a singles wing. That way you will have everything you need in a BP/w. add an STA, single tank adapter from one of the vendors and your done. The webbing can be cut for you and will work. For regs I would look for cheaper second hand scuba pro's mk17 or 25's with one gv250, s600, or 700 and a single r395 second stages.
I would buy everything used and immediately get it serviced.

Exposure protection is trickery but usually more is better. It's up to how cold tolerant you are.

Tanks, I've never bought them new. Just buy with 1-2 years or more on hydro and get them VIP'd. I stopped renting once I looked at the prices for used tanks and fill cost.

Same for computers and most of the stuff you need the key is get something nice and still in service/sold today. The gear actually does not change much.

That setup is fine, but the backup second stage is pretty low rent but will work. Don't worry about the pads, totally not needed. The 30lb wing is enough too. I would skip the weight pouches and just use a belt with this setup, but that's me.

The basic harness is fine for all. Regulator.... Can your lds service Hollis (not many dealers around here). As you are a prime candidate for doubles deep dry diving I'd say get a octo the same as your second. That way you can just add another first in your future. Scuba supply also has a great wing package for 300 (without regs) hog regs have a great price point. As for the 800 in no time flat you'll be justifying that much for a flashlight.

What do you all think of this package for a beginner ($800) Extreme Reg and BPW Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys
This is a pretty good deal. Great single tank wing, good reg - at least the first stage and primary second stage; the second stage can be replaced. I would pay the additional $27.45 for the SS BP, given the fact that your diving is likely to be colder inland water for the foreseeable future. As to your specific questions:

1. Will that backplate support doubles? Yes, it will support BM doubles.
2. Is an 11 foot web ring long enough for us big guys, I wear a 44 waist? 11 feet should be (more than) enough webbing to configure your harness.
3. Is it safe to assume that the dive rite backpad will also work on this setup since it is dive rite (this stuff is fairly interchangable within brands)? No. But, you DO NOT want / need a backpad, anyway.
4. The hollis regulator says it works for extreme cold. Will this also work in moderate temperatures? Yes, absolutely. If it works at 40 degrees it will work in warmer temperatures.
5. Can I put a bungee cord necklace on this 2nd stage? Yes. I would opt for buying, in addition / later, a decent second stage for my necklace reg (I would get one identical to my primary second stage), but that's just me.
6. For the SPG, it doesn't look like it has a way to clip to the front of the BC. Is this an easy addon? Yes. You attach a bolt snap to the SPG hose with some cave line, or even just a tie-wrap. You will probably clip the SPG to a D-ring on the waist, not to the front of the BC,
7. This package will work with nitrox? Yes.

This set-up will get you started. Over time you will probably make some modifications to suit you, you will add some items that expand the versatility of the rig, etc. I agree with Rob, that you will probably end up using a weight belt, but the trim pockets are, as TSandM pointed out, a very nice addition to the package and will be very functional. I use them on my tank cam bands to adjust trim and they are great. I replaced three Miflex HP hoses in the recent recall (because of the failure potential - mine were still functional). Time will tell if the new ones are more reliable than the old, or if it is an inherent problem with the Miflex hose design. For now, I dive with them without issue.

Additional comment: You could spend a lot of time looking at a variety of options, from Deep Sea Supply (a personal favorite), or Dive Right In Scuba - DRIS, or Leisure Pro, etc., or you could peruse eBay or Craigslist for used gear (I buy a lot of used gear on eBay, and am comfortable with the prices) and wait for the right deal, and basically drive yourself crazy in the process. The package you selected is a good deal - worst case, in a year you could probably sell it used for half of what you paid for it, which is pretty good in scuba terms. Go with it, learn to use it, gain experience with it diving a single tank configuration, and grow from there.

3. Is it safe to assume that the dive rite backpad will also work on this setup since it is dive rite (this stuff is fairly interchangable within brands)? No. But, you DO NOT want / need a backpad, anyway.

Since I said one thing and two more experienced divers said another, I have a question.

Is it really unsafe to assume that a Dive Rite pad will attach to a Dive Rite plate? Or that Dive Rite backplate accessories will work with Dive Rite backplates in general? The OP asked about within brands, and I would think Dive Rite stuff would work with Dive Rite, Halcyon with Halcyon, scubapro with scubapro, etc.. Where did my thinking go astray/why the incompatibilities?

Since I said one thing and two more experienced divers said another, I have a question. Is it really unsafe to assume that a Dive Rite pad will attach to a Dive Rite plate? Or that Dive Rite backplate accessories will work with Dive Rite backplates in general? The OP asked about within brands, and I would think Dive Rite stuff would work with Dive Rite, Halcyon with Halcyon, scubapro with scubapro, etc.. Where did my thinking go astray/why the incompatibilities?
My bad, I should read more carefully. Your thinking did not go astray, rather my reading did. :) Thanks for pointing it out. Yes, within brands things should work. Dive Rite backplate accessories will work with Dive Rite backplates in general. Backpads for plates are an unusual situation. While hole spacing is generally standardized so that wings, STAs, etc., should work across brands, how the pads attach to the plate for each brand is not as standardized, and that's what I was thinking about, instead of more carefully reading the equipment specs.

That looks like an awfully good deal. I would be wary of the Miflex HP hose -- they have quite a reputation for failure. I wouldn't personally choose that backup regulator, but it will probably do fine for basic recreational diving. You can put any regulator on a necklace, so long as it has a mouthpiece. Getting the camband weight pouches with the package is a nice touch.

You won't need the padding, either on the plate or on the strap, but it won't hurt anything. But do not assume that difference pieces of backplate setups from different manufacturers are compatible -- it's all in how they affix to the plate, and different plates have different patterns of slots and holes. Some things just don't work together.

Ditto the Phantom HP hoses I note they have also had a voluntary recall for hoses produced 2011 until now. What is it about the seeming inability to produce a working safe HP hose, back to rubber.

I would ask if it is possible to switch out the mares octo for either a Hollis or Oceanic in order to keep the regulator brands the same.

Back
Top Bottom