Minimalist Configuration, where to start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can't talk about tech gear and saving money. Sounds like you want:

-drysuit
-multiple regs for sidemount/doubles redundancy
-perfect candidate for HP100 steel, which is hard to rent in most places
-BP with a couple of wings, an maybe a DR nomad type rig later on.
-Advanced, rescue, sidemount, intro to tech...you need to find a Technical shop NOW, before you buy all this twice.

Better start with finding a shop to get good advice 1st before you buy a bunch of junk off the internet.

An Express Tech is a soft backplate - it's designed to collapse for travel. You can't add a steel/aluminum plate to that configuration. The Ranger can - maybe the Tech 10 also? But either will eat up a substantial chunk of your $800. You can also mount doubles on either the Express Tech or the Ranger but that won't be optimal without a hard plate.

Whatever you do end up with will also work for ocean diving - the weighting will require a small adjustment. They also sell travel plates if you do more of that in the future.

Deep Sea Supply is another option for BP/Wings. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/deep-sea-supply/

For the temperatures you're talking about (on the low end) you'll need to buy a sealed regulator to prevent freeze-ups and freeflows.
It's sometimes called an enviro(nment) kit also in product descriptions.

Some of what you're describing is Hogarthian in nature. You may want to look at that sub-forum for some specific ideas/examples.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hogarthian-diving/

Sidemount will have it's own configuration also:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/side-mount-divers/

When you expand to doubles you'll also need to buy both tanks, a dual-post manifold, a 2nd reg setup (one for each post), bands, and likely a hard backplate to bolt it all to. That will be much more than your $800 budget.

Last edited:
You have some wants/needs combined that aren't really compatible with a BP/w. ... They don't have air 2, integrated weight pouches ( although you can buy trim weights, have the BP weighted and pouches for the cam straps, etc. ...

I read his post as he does NOT want air2.

As for integrated weight pouches, there are several such systems.
http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/pockets/ac3216
http://www.golemgear.com/p-276-golem-gear-integrated-weight-system-for-backplate.aspx
There is at least one other that bolts to the backplate directly and has pockets that extend forward (like a weight integrated BCD) with quick releases you can pull.

When I bought my BP/W the guys in the shop showed me several and sounded kinda surprised when I said I didn't want any of them. The subject came back up even after I had paid... "You are really going to use a weight belt?"

Thanks for all the comments and links. I didn't realize there were separate forums for DIR and GUE. I will check them out.

To answer some questions concerns or what I learned from this thread:

-My main confusion was that I need different wings. I now realize I need to buy a backplate that supports multiple wing types and supports multiple tanks, and just buy a wing that supports one tank (I did find one that supports 1 and 2 tanks). That backplate should be SS.

-The only bp/w I have used was the zeagle. I liked how simple it was. This was also what confused me when the guy explained how it could fit anyone, any configuration, etc..

lowviz : What is the main reason to reach the valve? I guess in case I fail to check it before diving in? I have seen youtube videos of testing this but I am not sure why.

Sorry for the confusion but I meant I do not like the air2. This is just a preference and it turns out, the rig I want most people don't use it.

By bells and whistles, I meant the ability to add a pouch or weight integration. Trim pouches, etc.

I have never actually dove with a weight integrated BC. No body here rents them. The main problem with a weight belt is sometimes I dive with 20lbs and the belt is so tight. If I have a SS bp a few trim weights, a weight belt might be a good option. They don't bother me, at the store everyone kept telling me weight integrated was the way to go, but I am starting to have my doubts.

I have narrowed wish list down to this configuration (I couldn't find a company/package called DRIS, that people are recommending):

What do you all think of this package for a beginner ($800) Extreme Reg and BPW Setup discounts on sale ScubaToys

1. Will that backplate support doubles?
2. Is an 11 foot web ring long enough for us big guys, I wear a 44 waist?
3. Is it safe to assume that the dive rite backpad will also work on this setup since it is dive rite (this stuff is fairly interchangable within brands)?
4. The hollis regulator says it works for extreme cold. Will this also work in moderate temperatures?
5. Can I put a bungee cord necklace on this 2nd stage?
6. For the SPG, it doesn't look like it has a way to clip to the front of the BC. Is this an easy addon?
7. This package will work with nitrox?

thanks for all the answers and support. I appreciate it. You guys are probably going to save me a lot of money hehe.

Jerrod

I'll take a pass at this and if I make mistakes hopefully we'll both learn something. :)

The basic Hogarthian harness/backplate will fit a lot of people, though from what I've read very tall people (taller than us) will want a longer plate.

Reaching the valve... In tight spaces a bump can close it for example.

DRIS is Dive right in scuba... Diverightinscuba.com

As for the scubatoys package, I actually walked into their store (they are local to me) planning on getting it. In the store they steered me towards getting webbing by the foot and exactly the parts I needed to assemble my personal BP/W. It was not only less expensive but I got to choose colors and a few other options. I went a different way on the reg and the like too.

1. Will that backplate support doubles? Yes.

2. Is an 11 foot web ring long enough for us big guys, I wear a 44 waist? Probably, but don't go over 12' I think.

3. Is it safe to assume that the dive rite backpad will also work on this setup since it is dive rite (this stuff is fairly interchangable within brands)? Yes, but you don't need it unless maybe you expect to hike with the BP on...in the water, with even a tee shirt, you are good.

4. The hollis regulator says it works for extreme cold. Will this also work in moderate temperatures? Yes.

5. Can I put a bungee cord necklace on this 2nd stage? Yes.

6. For the SPG, it doesn't look like it has a way to clip to the front of the BC. Is this an easy addon? It clips to your hip. You need a "bolt snap".

The padded crotch strap is dumb. The last thing you want down there is the extra bulk of a padded strap. You don't need the pad. You also don't need the backpad for anything.

It'll be fine with nitrox and moderate or warm temperatures. The BP is fine for doubles but you need another wing. I don't like the super low-performance octo as a backup. Especially a big guy like you will want as much air as possible in a highly stressed situation.

Everything you listed above is perfect.
You can't go wrong with that package. That plate and harness will work with doubles fine.
It's all rock solid simple gear that will never need to be upgraded.
You are miles ahead of most other beginners just by getting on here and asking.
Congratulations.

The padded crotch strap is dumb. The last thing you want down there is the extra bulk of a padded strap. You don't need the pad.

Not sure what you are envisioning. We aren't talking about pipe insulation style padding. :wink:

I don't think it matters either way mind you, and it shouldn't be a decision point, but the padded strap is not exactly bulky.

...//... lowviz : What is the main reason to reach the valve? I guess in case I fail to check it before diving in? ...//...

Yes, that is the biggest reason. If you can't reach the valve you should have a practiced worst-case plan for survival.

The "pad" on the crotch strap is not there for comfort. It's there to keep the webbing from eating into your drysuit.

To the OP, as someone else here as already said: Technical diving and "budget" don't go together. Even cheap isn't cheap.

You might want to consider an Intro to Tech class. They'll go over gear configuration with you, and that might save you time and money. They'll also explain to you the theory behind why gear is configured the way it is.

Back
Top Bottom