Minimalist gear setup? (that would double for travel)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

danpass

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I figure a minimalist approach (which helps in traveling) meaning a day dive off a boat (which has tanks) in clear water within recreational limits.

-Dive watch w/bezel, wetsuit/booties/gloves/fins/mask/snorkel, single tank on BC with integrated weights, SMB, with a small pocket for a Tec 40 light and Spyderco Salt folding knife, random metal carabiner (as an underwater signal tool to detach from wherever and bang on tank) and gopro with dive housing on a stick?

On boat:
-Mesh bag (which had all your other stuff, except tank) with extra mask strap, fin strap, some o-rings, scuba multi tool thing, snorkel keeper, Afrin, some powerbars, 2L of water, plastic PADI dive table, hat, sunglasses, magic swim towel, ear plugs, sandals, dry bag (sealline 10L) with log book, t-shirt, shorts, underwear.

I would still need to get the BC (I'm considering the Aeris EX Lite), knife and some of the smaller stuff. Not sure about some type of retractable leash for the knife/light.

What do you always have with you?

Last edited:
That's not a bad list. I would replace the carabiner with a double-ended snap (safer, and sometimes easier to use underwater). If you put spring straps on your fins and a neoprene slap strap on your mask, you can pretty much do away with the spare straps.

You did not mention any kind of depth gauge, but I think that's absolutely required for diving. I also always wear a compass, because although some dives don't really need one, when the structure doesn't permit depending entirely on natural navigation, a compass is a comforting thing to have.

I ditch the snorkel.

If you really want to be a minimalist you could leave the BCD at home. Short of that, drop the light for 1. Are you going to bring a depth gauge or computer with you? You don't really need it if you know how deep the bottom is and it is within your limits but most people would want it. Plus a computer will give you more time in the water-worth it in my opinion. Do you really need a change of cloths on the boat? It's going back to shore after the dive.

As to what I always have with me, my rig is already set up before I even get to the docks so I carry it on the boat ready to go. What ever I am comfortable wearing under my wetsuit (if I wear a wetsuit) is what I will be wearing the entire time - no extra cloths. Swim booties for shoes. In a small water-tight box is a towel, an ID, some cash, keys, small save-a-dive stuff and a cell phone. On top are my fins and mask.

Ah the compass. I'll add that. Most SPGs I've seen have depth gauge in addition to the PSI gauge.

I bring a change of clothes with me so I can rinse off, change in the bathroom, then get in the car. Too lazy to go back and forth lol. I've tried wearing just my booties but its simply too hot.

Here's what I carry when recreational travel diving in the tropics:

- Oxycheq 18lb wing with Ultralite travel plate and hog harness.
- Scubapro Mk25T w/ S600T and R295 regulator.
- 4th Element Thermocline long-sleeve top, rash guard and shorts.
- Force Fins Pro w/ bungee straps
- Suunto D9 (worn)
- 50m Finger Spool w/ SS Double Ender
- Halcyon 3' oral-inflate DSMB
- Lightweight dive ankle booties.
- Cressi Big Eyes Mask w/ neoprene/velcro strap
- Inotova LED torch
- Sony Cybershot & housing

It all packs into my 35lb daysack.

Divelight helps with power outages and/or walks through the trees when in remote areas in Asia, so it's dual purpose.

4th Element Thermocline is awesome; equiv to 3mm neoprene, machine washable, neutrally buoyant and very lightweight. Can be worn as a sweater (if not wet).

If tech diving, I replace the Oxycheq with my Custom Divers TDB rigged for indie doubles w/ cam bands.... and carry 2x Mk25/S600 (not titanium). With the other stuff, this can pack in a small carry-on case/holdall.

I'll probably be replacing/upgrading the Oxycheq wing for a Z-System sidemount rig soon; that'll make the packing even smaller.

I wear microfiber board shorts and skip changing clothes. They'll dry on the ride back in generally.

Watch, computer, B&G spg, Oxy 18 wing on Oxy Ultralight plate and integrated weight, mini knife or line cutter, optional Intova WA light or LED Q-Light, booties, plastic Plana fins with spring straps, spool, sausage, rescue pack (optional), Atomic mask. And my camera.

For attire, sorry, if the water is warm, I am old school and drop the Scuba Steve superhero outfit and go Speedo and rash guard, though I do have some 1.0mm BG camo top and shorts that are wonderful in warm water on multiple dives and weigh hardly nothing in the grip and Walgreens SPF aerosol SPF 90. Reef sandals, hat, Ray Bans, dry shorts and shirt etc in a small dry bag with snacks and towel. I have one of those light weight mesh back packs for toting the gear, a larger roller bag for transport on the airline. Not much more.

Snorkel!??????????

N

My usual travel list:

Oxy 18lb Mach V
AGIR aluminium plate, Aluminium STA, Aluminium Cam bands
Apeks FSR XTX50s (Miflex/nylon braided hoses)
Oceanic Vipers w/spring straps
Atomic Frameless w/slap strap
Small Wenoka Ti knife
Halcyon 3' SMB
30m finger spool
Mb-sub X1-VB (AA)
Solus back up light
Suunto Vyper and SK7 both in DSS mounts
5mm suit, 3mm boots, 3mm gloves
Canon point and shoot.
Some spare batteries and O rings etc.

a few T shirts and a couple pairs of shorts, quick dry towel.

Incl bag weighs in at just under 40lbs.

When solo beach diving in tropical water I bring a mask, fins, snorkel, knife, commercial diving harness, a reg with only one 2nd stage and a SPG. I then rent either a 30 or 40 cu/ft tank that attaches to the harness and a weight belt.

IMG_1505.jpg

My minimalist list which I'm always trying to dwindle down more starts with a Litehawk BC with Air2 integration to eliminate the octopus. I also just received my Aeris Elite T3 wireless dive computer to eliminate another hose that connects to my gauges This leaves me with two hoses, one for my second stage S600 and the hose to the BC itself. I have a small Tusa knife that came with a hose mounted bracked so it sits flush with my bc hose.

MK25/S600
Aeris Elite T3 wireless dive computer with transmitter
Litehawk BC. I use the two small pockets to put 2 or 3 pounds of weight in each one since that is all I need
I always dive with just my swim shorts if the water is warm enough
boots
fins
Mini Shadow mask minus the snorkel
80AL tank. Would be awesome to use a smaller tank but I always find myself in far away places from home so I wouldn't want to lug around my own tank

I realize I'm probably cutting alot of corners but almost all of my diving is in shallow tropical diving scenarios and I will take more gear as needed. I would love to just use a backplate and small tank and ditch the BC completely like others have already mentioned but don't feel my skill is quite there yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom