"Minimum Advertised Price"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrweather

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I went to a giant sports store today inquiring about some Apeks Regs. They are an authorized seller even though they do not stock Apeks. When I asked about ordering regs, the guy pulled out their "book" and looked at the various prices listed for the regs I asked about. Basically it had the "dealer cost," some additional prices, then "minimum advertised price." Needless to say, MAP was more than twice the dealer cost. So I asked him what my price would be, and he quoted me the MAP. My question is with regards to MAP. Is that the price the shop must sell it for or is the price they can list the product for in their stores? I know certain companies limit the advertised prices of their products. Are dive shops tied to selling for those prices or can they sell for what they want? I am going to the LDS that sells Aqualung/Apeks tomorrow to ask them for a quote. I'd like to know before I go in if there is a way for them to deal with me for buying multiple regs. If they are restricted to selling for MAP, I will look at other brands. Thanks for the help.

MAP is minimum advertised price. That is the least they can advertise it for. Not the least they can sell it for. Some companies like scubapro will have you fill out a warranty card that asks what you paid for it. If you put less than their min price the dealer is officially allowed to sell it for then the dealer can get in some crap. I'm not familiar with AL/Apeks policy but imagine it is the same. Best bet is to ask the dealer for their best deal and keep your mouth shut about it. I don;t know what you were quoted but shop around in any case. What type of diving are you planning on doing? There are other tech regs out there that you don;t have to spend as much on and will work as well.

Thanks for the reply Jim. I have just started looking into equipment for doubling up my HP100s. I have a Hollis reg now that I like a lot. I travel a few weeks out of each month and want to keep my Hollis set up for singles/travel so I am willing to buy two new regs. The appeal of SP, Apeks/Aqualung, and Dive Rite is the free service parts for life. If I am going to spend more, I'd like to at least get something for it over the course of ownership. I've been trying to look at what each manufacturer has. I am in NorCal so the water can get chilly come wintertime. Unfortunately, I have 2 LDS besides the super sport store. One LDS sells SP and the other sells Aqualung. The SP dealer is not willing to negotiate, even if I buy two regs. I almost wonder if they even have two regs in stock. The LDS that sells aqualung was closed today so I have yet to talk to them. The best dive shop around is about an hour away. They have a great selection but I have yet to make it out there to talk to them. I am open to any suggestions. As I mentioned, I have just begun to look so I am not set for or against anything yet. Thanks again for the response and information.

Even if the dealer can't offer you a deal on the price for the regs, he can offer you a deal on other things. Like free air fills or perhaps bands for your doubles. :eyebrow:

The appeal of SP, Apeks/Aqualung, and Dive Rite is the free service parts for life. If I am going to spend more, I'd like to at least get something for it over the course of ownership.

This is a very important consideration. I use Oceanic gear and they have the same deal.

One thing to be sure of before you purchase your regs -- are you sure this shop is an authorized Apeks dealer? If not, then you wouldn't get the warranty or the free service parts. Be sure to purchase your regs from an authorized dealer. Just because the shop sells them doesn't mean they're an authorized dealer.

Luckily there is going to be ample other gear I'll need with doubles so I plan on asking the LDS if they will deal with me on any of them. I figure there should be some wiggle room somewhere. Thanks for the reply.

This is a very important consideration. I use Oceanic gear and they have the same deal.

One thing to be sure of before you purchase your regs -- are you sure this shop is an authorized Apeks dealer? If not, then you wouldn't get the warranty or the free service parts. Be sure to purchase your regs from an authorized dealer. Just because the shop sells them doesn't mean they're an authorized dealer.

And even if they are an authorized dealer, that's NOT a guarantee they participate in the lifetime parts program.

Free Parts For Life

Conditions:
· In order to get free standard overhaul parts on the Free Parts for Life program you will be required to provide proof of purchase from an Authorized U.S. Aqua Lung Dealer and the “Annual Service and Inspection Record” located in the back of your regulator owner’s manual documenting all inspections and overhauls have been completed as per the agreement.
· This program is limited to participating Authorized Aqua Lung America Retailers. Aqua Lung retailers are not required to participate in this program. Please inquire with the Aqua Lung retailer if they participate in the Aqua Lung Free Parts for Life program prior to bringing your regulator in for overhaul servicing.

A LDS is more likely to give you a break on the pricing if you buy 2. also if its in stock expect a better deal Vs. if they have to order it.

It's similar to Buying a new car from a dealer if they have it sitting on the lot now they are more likely to give you a deal VS a car they have to order, since they are paying to have that Product on the lot/store.

"Remember Money Talks and BS walks"

LP lists them for about 30% under list. You lose the manufactures warranty and get an LP warranty.

LP lists them for about 30% under list. You lose the manufactures warranty and get an LP warranty.

...does the LP warranty require one to ship them the reg at least annually for, of course, an 'annual', and if you are late on an annual or skip an annual, does the LP warranty self-destruct like the OEM warranty does ?

Back
Top Bottom