Minke whales one-day trip from Cairns or Port Douglas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laene

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Is there such a thing as a day trip to snorkel/dive with the dwarf minke whales? My party of 4 includes 2 non-divers, and I am pretty sure they're not going to be interested in a multi-day liveaboard.

The first dozen or so Google hits only talk about multi-day trips. Are the whales' locations too far out for a single-day adventure?

The minke whales congregate around the Ribbon Reefs which are too far offshore from either Cairns or Port Douglas to be a day trip. You might get extremely lucky and see one on one of the day trips (it happens, but is very random), but the only real "pretty much guaranteed" is a liveaboard.

Is there any scope for the non-divers to stay on land for a few days while you do the live aboard? I love the reef and the day trips just don't show the best of it, not only the sites, but the early morning and evening hustle.

For example, the non-divers could head to Port Douglas or Palm Cove for a few days of beach side relaxation and you could all meet up again afterwards? I personally don't like Cairns as anything other than a jumping point to the reef and don't recommend it for people to stay at.

Thanks for the information - I'll have to consider splitting the group for a few days. It would be tragic to visit the GBR in minke whale season and not dive with them :)

Uh, were you going this year or next year? I suspect you're probably too late to get a spot on a liveaboard for this year - they can sell out up to a year in advance. I'd be checking on that before anything else :)

The main trips that do the Minke migration are Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom which really cater exclusively for divers. However, Ocean Quest (which normally runs as an Outer Reef trip catering for snorkelers and divers) runs Minke whale trips that do a combination of Outer Reef and southern Ribbon Reef areas to cover the migration.

This trip runs for 4 days and 4 nights departing Fridays through out June and July, and although not all sites would suit snorkeling, may be a compromise.

Links above, and spaces available. Non divers may be able to do Introductory dives on board as well on some sites.

Reef Encounter also have that permit if they come across them. Reef Encounter are a good option for an overnight or two. They don't go to the outer outer reefs but have some nice sites and they take arrivals every day so you can go for one night or ten.

I've been with them twice, the first time as a snorkeler where I did a DSD and now have no money... The second certified and both times its been a really nice trip. Neither trip was in minke whale season though.

ETA - just research Silversonic carefully - I looked into them at one point and if I recall they are a pretty large boat. Reef Encounter only sleeps about 34 I think. On our last trip it was probably a 50/50 split of snorkelers and divers so the dive deck was never too crowded.

I actually wound up booking 2 nights with Reef Encounter for all of us - looks like there's enough there to keep everybody happy. Fingers crossed for whales!

I actually wound up booking 2 nights with Reef Encounter for all of us - looks like there's enough there to keep everybody happy. Fingers crossed for whales!

Lovely - I hope you have a great trip and fingers crossed for those mike whales! The non-divers should have a great time on Reef Encounter. Heaps of wonderful snorkelling. Make sure everyone tries to get up for the early morning dive/snorkel - well worth it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom