Miserable Westsuit Experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba-Blue-13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am normally a warm water Caribbean diver - skins and 8lbs of weight with no air in my BCD and my buoyancy is near perfect.

This past weekend I decided to try some local diving, which required the use of a 7mm wetsuit, hood, and gloves.

I knew going in it was going to be a little more difficult due to the buoyancy and compression of the wetsuit and the addition of about 20lbs of weight, but I had no idea it was going to be as difficult as it was.

I felt I needed to overweight by a few pounds in order to get down under 15-20', but once I dropped below 30' I seemed to require what I considered to be a SIGNIFICANT amount of air in my BCD to stop sinking. I was able to level out at depth, but on ascent as I reached the 20' mark I couldn't dump air fast enough to not bottle rocket to the surface.

Kicker is when I did my buoyancy check at the surface, I was nearly perfectly weighted.

Is there a trick to adjusting to the compression / decompression of a wetsuit to make it easier?

Over 2 days I just couldn't get comfortable with it, to the point where in my mind today I will never try diving a wetsuit again.

Any advice from the diving gods would be appreciated.

If you keep diving it you will get used to it. The key is to detect those small changes in buoyancy and anticipating when you will need to add/vent air before getting too positive or negative.

Similarly, you'll probably will drop a bit of weight as you'll get used to such diving.

If you used a relatively new wetsuit the "compression" of it is greater than an old beat up one. I had to add several pounds with my newer one to descend.

I have a horrible time diving up here in central NY lakes. Both the insulation and the dive flag are my nemesis. I hate them!!!!! Up here I dive with small tanks because the constriction of the wetsuit and weight just wears me out so I really can't handle an 80cf. I also consider the line from the dive flag to be the most serious hazard I will ever encounter.

Diving in the caribbean in shorts and a t-shirt I can easily handle an 80cf, multiple times a day.

Please don't try with an empty tank. Have enough air for the user and for wing expansion, in case one is too heavy.
ok "near empty tank".

Dont drown yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom