• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Discussion in 'Accidents & Incidents' started by scubajcf, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

You may have missed the Cave part of the title of the IUCRR. I'd imagine that the resources are concentrated in the areas of greatest need. :wink:

2. Jax

Jax Deplorable American ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Good Point.

I remember in the east there were a lot of volunteer divers (edit - not necessarily cave) attached to the county SAR teams. There seemed to be a good solid program for them.

Yet, as Steve said earlier, Cochise County didn't have one at all up until a few years ago.

Is this purely a matter of diver density?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  3. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

I would think it's a matter of cave density. Florida has more than any other area in the US and thus, more cave divers. Doesn't make much sense to have a cave rescue and recovery group in an area without caves...

4. Jax

Even without considering the cave rescue -

Stationed in GA, VA, DC, & PA, everything I met someone that was in a volunteer dive organization that assisted the county LE.

They just don't seem to exist in the West. Google searches bring up many eastern locations. Why might that be?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  5. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

Why would you not consider cave rescue when talking about a group dedicated to cave rescue? :idk:

And I guess I'm being dense, but I don't understand why you would expect more IUCRR people in areas that don't have large amounts of caves.

6. dbramley

dbramley Solo Diver

Channel 3 news reported this am on tv and confirmed via phone call the search has been suspended. Anyone know what will happen next? Comercial divers? Nothing?

7. Jax

I have mis-stated, and I apologize. I would like to see more of a well-organized rescue organization, much like the IUCRR, in the Western States. It seems we have only 'catch-as-catch-can" volunteers from the few rescue people I've met. I use the IUCRR as an example but know only what I've seen on the website. It seems to be as well-organized as is the National Ski Patrol.

8. Cave Diver

Cave Diver Divemaster

That makes more sense.

9. Jax

No kudos to Sheriff Joe for keeping the public informed, huh?

10. koozemani

koozemani Contributor

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    If i missed it on an earlier post i apologize, but is there any word about restricting access to other divers?