Missing Diver at Lake Pleasant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Speaking of "last seen point", does anyone know when Tim was last seen while diving with his small group? Was it 15 minutes into the dive? 25 minutes? Just wondering if this information has been conveyed to family or friends.

Speaking of "last seen point", does anyone know when Tim was last seen while diving with his small group? Was it 15 minutes into the dive? 25 minutes? Just wondering if this information has been conveyed to family or friends.
From the first post:
MCSO spokesman Jeff Sprong said a small group was diving near Waddell Dam around 11 a.m. Saturday and when they went under for a dive all but one resurfaced.

The Peoria Fire Department said it was about five minutes before the group noticed the 48-year-old man was missing.

It would be nice if options such as SEAmagine’s Triumph Submersibles, Underwater Vessels, Deep-water Crafts Seamangine's Triumph were more affordable for times such as this. They have a really nice product line and the standard model has a depth range of 1500 feet but can be upgraded to 3000 feet. They are based of out CA.

Hope the LEO's are able to find him without anyone getting hurt.

From the first post:

DiverSteve--

I read this part of the post but took it to mean they missed him after they surfaced.

So what you're asking is when is the last time someone saw him underwater during the dive?

My guess would be that question was asked by the Sheriff's Dive Team b4 they deployed the ROV.

Yes the MCSO dive was based upon the "best" information that was communicated as will our survey and search that begins tomorrow morning.

The jurisdiction problem rears its ugly head, and for some reason the entities don't want to train together for the common good.
ne_nau.gif

Does anyone know why AZ has such a 'rice bowl' establishment instead?

That kind of short sighted thinking spreads thin resources instead of centralizing and concentrating them. Rice bowl approaches are not efficient.

Separate govt agencies resources in the Valley, and Maricopa county, train together for the type of events that need coordinated response. Usually a dive team effort is not that kind of response. By the time a dive team is needed, the emergency is over. I am fairly sure however, that regionally, most dive teams in Maricopa County operate under fairly similar guidelines and are able to work together. And I would be very surprised if they did not train together. I know our technical rescue teams, hazmat teams, wmd, Bomb dudes, Swat etc all do.

Maricopa County has the following dive teams that I know of that are Govt run: MCSO, Tempe Fire, and Phoenix police.

Tempe Fire dives Tempe Town lake, as it is in their jurisdiction, Phoenix PD dives water in their Jurisdiction and MCSO covers the rest of the county.

When one is unable to fulfill the immediate needs resources are shared. I have used Phoenix divers outside of Phoenix, both in other cities and in County islands.I have also had County divers show up in Phx. All it takes is a need and a request. I do not believe Tempe fire will dive outside of Tempe unless there is a special and specific need.

Most other municipalities cannot justify the need of a dive team, think of where the bodies of water are located.

Other than the Town lake and the Roosevelt Canal system, most water requiring divers are county. The lakes are outside the cities.

Every city and county in our state is financially destroyed. Public safety is struggling to provide staffing and equipment for immediate-emergent needs. More public safety divers on scene cannot fix the visibility problems they are having, and its hard to justify the cost of specialized ROVs for the number of incidents that require them.

Jeff

So what you're asking is when is the last time someone saw him underwater during the dive?

My guess would be that question was asked by the Sheriff's Dive Team b4 they deployed the ROV.

Yes, that was my question. Determining where he went missing during the dive could narrow down the search area.

I wasn't clear if they knew when he went missing, and couldn't tell that from the original post.

I have read some of the post and I find it interesting that everyone seems to know something about everything. Where, who and what doesn't matter. Our focus is to find him so the family can get some closure.

I have read some of the post and I find it interesting that everyone seems to know something about everything. Where, who and what doesn't matter. Our focus is to find him so the family can get some closure.

Umm, actually the focus/purpose of this board is not to find him. Law enforcement or other qualified individuals are charged with that purpose. The purpose of this discussion board is to help other surmise what might have happened and then to avoid those situations or deal with mishaps that might happen.

Experience is the best teacher, but it is also the most expensive--sometimes even demanding your life. It is best to learn from others both successes and mistakes when possible.

I do hope he is recovered and that the family finds closure. I think everyone on the board would give a hearty second to that motion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom