Missing Diver Off Vandenberg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because the bottom does exist and I am not going to abandon a diver if they go to the bottom or not be able to work out and solve a problem if I find myself on the bottom. So I will plan on a "worst case" that I will have to go to the bottom, and will bring adequate gas and mix. And before you misconstrue "worst case" I am merely referring to finding myself on the bottom. If you are close to the end of a dive on the Van with a single Alu 80, with what is left of your 32%, there is no way you will be capable of rescuing a buddy that drops over the rail. It is a "Thunderdome" dive.....at best.

As to a wall dive, there is not a realistic "hard bottom", but I would plan my dive, if I was diving a wall, to be at least 40' above my MOD. Do I need to explain why?

And for either scenario, any dive below 90' I'm diving doubles anyway. Is this concept that hard to grasp?

Thanks. That certainly is a safer way to dive.

My wife is and dives self reliant as well. She yells at me as I am a lousy buddy.

I own that I am a lousy buddy, and am self reliant.

I dive solo no matter who I dive with.

Yes, you may die of an MI on your next dive.
...until you're not.

Medical events can happen.
Sure medical events can always happen.

Would I go to 150 feet if I was diving 32% to save someone's life, of course I would. A short exposure at a pO2 of nearly 1.8 would be a small risk to take. Who wouldn't do this?

It is always so predictable. We are not discussing "wall dives" which have their own specific protocol and procedures to accomplish safely. And I am assuming divers realize that when doing wall dives.

It is also predictable that one cannot see that a bottom well past someone's abilities are the same whether 140' or 1400'. In addition, recreational dives on sanitized wrecks have their own specific protocol and procedures to accomplish safely. You disagree, others don't.

My discussion was regarding diving "hard bottom" wreck dives. (which seemed obvious). When one is diving on a hard-bottom wreck any dive plan should include the possibility of having to actually go to the bottom, purposely or by accident. But clearly I'm in the minority here.

At which point it would close the Vandenberg, and numerous other wrecks, to recreational divers. Problem solved.

Yes, you may die of an MI on your next dive.

Sure medical events can always happen.

Would I go to 150 feet if I was diving 32% to save someone's life, of course I would. A short exposure at a pO2 of nearly 1.8 would be a small risk to take. Who wouldn't do this?
My point was that your wife would be blissfully unaware of YOUR medical event should it happen while you are keeping an eye on her from behind.

Because the bottom does exist and I am not going to abandon a diver if they go to the bottom or not be able to work out and solve a problem if I find myself on the bottom. So I will plan on a "worst case" that I will have to go to the bottom, and will bring adequate gas and mix. And before you misconstrue "worst case" I am merely referring to finding myself on the bottom. If you are close to the end of a dive on the Van with a single Alu 80, with what is left of your 32%, there is no way you will be capable of rescuing a buddy that drops over the rail. It is a "Thunderdome" dive.....at best.

As to a wall dive, there is not a realistic "hard bottom", but I would plan my dive, if I was diving a wall, to be at least 40' above my MOD. Do I need to explain why?

And for either scenario, any dive below 90' I'm diving doubles anyway. Is this concept that hard to grasp?
40' above MOD. You are in a small minority. Enjoy!

I dive solo no matter who I dive with.

That is a great line!

Re: Single AL80’s on deeper group tourist dives. I’m not comfortable with this situation because there isn’t much margin for error if anyone in the party has to exert him or her self for any reason. I don’t like “If everything goes just right, we’ll be okay” dive plans.

Re: Buddy System.
Having your buddy in front of or behind you is a great way to lose your buddy the first time the trailing buddy gets interested in anything. I encourage divers from our boats to go side-by-side with the more experienced diver on the outside. That way, the less experienced diver, whose awareness bubble is smaller, can mostly focus on the site with occasional reassurances that the more experienced buddy is right on hand. Then the more experienced diver can look at the scenery while keeping the less experienced diver in the field of vision. Obviously, this tactic works best along walls and around fixed objects divers are circling. It doesn’t translate as well to dives where interesting things lie in all directions or where swim-throughs or constrictions prevent swimming side by side.
My youngest son, a former Navy diver, doesn’t understand why recreational divers don’t use tethers to keep their buddies at hand.

Back
Top Bottom