missing diver on the news

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Les

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Global news reports a missing female diver at Narrows Inlet about 15km north of Sechelt. Apparently separated from dive buddy. I hope this ends with a positive outcome.

Here is an article about the missing Diver:

Unfortunately I can't post URL's but it is on theprovince website.

/news/Diver+missing+near+Sechelt/2737659/story.html

I was on the water when it happened and the mayday call went out 1:15 pm. It was a female diver. I know more but I will leave it to the authorities to release it.

I was just about to post this (then figured i should do a search first)

"GLOBAL News"
Monday, March 29, 2010

VANCOUVER — A female diver is missing after losing contact with her dive partner in the waters off Sechelt, B.C., on Sunday afternoon.

An RCMP spokesman said the pair were diving in Narrows Inlet, 15 kilometres north of Sechelt, at 1:45 p.m. when they were separated.

The female diver did not surface and Coast Guard Search and Rescue was dispatched.

The search was cancelled at 6 p.m. The diver's identity has not been released.

Sechelt is a coastal community about 70 kilometres northwest of Vancouver.

I heard that the diver was found but have yet to see anything about it in the news. the outcome was not so good :-(

I'm still looking for a confirmation on the outcome... I hope I'm wrong.

RCMP find body of woman who went missing while diving in B.C.

March 29, 2010 8:47 p.m.

SECHELT, B.C. - The RCMP say they've located the body of a diver who failed to surface over the weekend while diving in British Columbia's Sunshine Coast region.

The woman vanished on Sunday while diving with another person in Narrows Inlet, located north of Sechelt. An air and water search involving the coast guard, the RCMP and civilian boats on Sunday failed to turn up any sign of the woman.

Her body was found Monday afternoon.

Police haven't released her name, but say she was from Pender Harbour.
News from ©The Canadian Press, 2010

I found this on the following website:
Metro - RCMP find body of woman who went missing while diving in B.C.

I'm curious as to how they got separated. I guess well just need to wait for the reports to come out.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to accidents forum. Some inappropriate posts have been removed.

I was wondering if there was any more information about this accident. Was it a true dive accident or a medical emergency gone wrong? We were diving Rendezvous Lodge when we heard the call come over the VHS. I've heard the area this happened in is a tough dive with lots of up and down wellings.

Back
Top Bottom