Missing DM??? Not sure real or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I, frankly, don't accept that only a down current took the life of a "expert" DM. I have been in a whole bunch of down currents since 1992 (especially this time of year) and it is a pretty simple thing to deal with if you are prepared.
I am very glad to hear you say that. It's what I was thinking but I am not an expert on the subject.

It's been a few years but didn't that dive shop/op owner 'Opal' and friends get 'bent' and/or perish as the result of a down current event ?

That is not my understanding of the accident.

It's been a few years but didn't that dive shop/op owner 'Opal' and friends get 'bent' and/or perish as the result of a down current event ?

No. That was offered as a cause for a bit, but was soon dismissed.
They got bent/perished due to stupidity. There would be kinder, more diplomatic ways to put it, but I'm not inclined to put lipstick on pigs.

Perhaps we ought to have a thread about that on this forum.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I totally agree. It should be a mandatory briefing before diving any wall dive. By the way, we were diving with Aldora when we experienced the down current. Quick thinking by the Aldora DM helped 3 of our divers back from the depths.

Although I have never been in a down current, I have been in quite a few rip tides. You can use them to your advantage when surfing to get out past the surf line quickly. When swimmers get "caught" in a rip, you just need to swim pararell to the shore until you are out.

Although I have never been in a down current, I have been in quite a few rip tides. You can use them to your advantage when surfing to get out past the surf line quickly. When swimmers get "caught" in a rip, you just need to swim pararell to the shore until you are out.

Yes, very similar hydraulics. They are 90 degrees from a rip current[.
5 Tips for Being Caught in a Down Current ATTACH=full]408856[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• rip-current-sign.jpg
    rip-current-sign.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 83
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom