Missing DM??? Not sure real or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As stated above, it only took seconds to go from 65' to 140'. I realized what was going on
@Gdog, how quickly would you estimate?
It was on Cantarel this last February. As stated above, it only took seconds. I realized what was going on instantly, began kicking hard and checked depth, was at 100', all in a matter of just a few seconds. A few more seconds and I was at 140' despite kicking my butt off. Hard to say where it would have taken me if I had delayed due to not realizing what was going on. Our entire group was caught in it, and we all surfaced without incident.
The important takeaway is that you need to be aware and react quickly. I have been diving Coz for years, and have been in lesser downwellings, which were easily handled as Ron stated. This was way different. So being educated to recognize what is happening and taking action is important.
So having said all this, I cant wait to get back and dive some more!

The rumors from the Marina that I have heard (rumors not facts) were that three local divers went to Tunich and we're spear fishing and at the end of the dive two surfaced and the third went deep and speared a fish and has not been seen since.
The missing diver was the son of a boat captain who had previously worked as a DM but currently was a Taxi driver. Recently he and his wife / girl friend split up and this has led to speculation that he may have been despondent but then again if the other two divers surfaced it indicates that they were at the tail end of this bottles and this may have been an OOA incident.
I have heard nothing about downwellings. It is doubtful that an accurate accounting of this accident will ever be known.

The rumors from the Marina that I have heard (rumors not facts) were that three local divers went to Tunich and we're spear fishing and at the end of the dive two surfaced and the third went deep and speared a fish and has not been seen since.
I hope it was lionfish they were spearfishing for in the park....

Have heard some of the same RUMOR from two different DM's this past week that support some of gopbroek's post. Three local divers spearfishing. One went deeper after a fish and didn't surface with the other two. Missing diver was a taxi driver.

Have heard some of the same RUMOR from two different DM's this past week that support some of gopbroek's post. Three local divers spearfishing. One went deeper after a fish and didn't surface with the other two. Missing diver was a taxi driver.

It was boat chatter on the marine radio that most people that work here heard while the search was ongoing.

Back
Top Bottom