Missing New England diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I grew up one town over, and my first swims, sails, and dives were all within several miles of there. I haven't done any South Shore boat dives yet, but hopefully will start this year.

Originally posted by shellbird
Are you guys familiar with that area? Ever dive out there?

All my charts are at home, so I don't know _exactly_ where Outer Brewster Island is, but from what I can find quickly on the web it's very close to Hull. I've never dove in that area, but I definately will sometime in the future, purely on the fact that when you look at a nautical chart of Hull there is wrecks and obstructions all over the place...

That area is south of the shipping lanes into Boston Harbour, and navigationally would be a nightmare. Given New Englands propensity for northeast winds in storms, it pushed a lot of ships destined for Boston into those rocks.

So yea... I'll be diving there someday! :)

graves18.jpg

graves.JPG

It's not such a bad spot really. It's named after Admiral Graves, which I guess is a lot better than the creepy alternative.

Still, it's a tricky spot to bring a boat (other than a canoe or kayak).

Originally posted by shellbird
Sounds unappealing

Maptech was the site I was looking for, but I couldn't remember it. Yep.. thems the charts that I've stared longingly at for hours.

Unappealing??? Hmm... Different mindsets I'd guess! :)

I guess the word I was looking for was "ominous" but going to "The Graves" is something I would prefer to postpone for 60 more years!

where Im from they would only give a couple of hours survival time in a wet suit. Its not really what they were designed for. Even off shore cold water survival suits only give you hours. Just depends on the weather and sea conditions.

It may sound ominous, but I'd bet Funky_Monks is too busy looking at all the shipwrecks on the chart to even read the name!

Originally posted by MSilvia
I'd bet Funky_Monks is too busy looking at all the shipwrecks on the chart to even read the name!

Oh.. I read the name... that's one of the reason it's so alluring! I'm kinda entralled by "Hypocrite Channel" as well :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom