Missing PNW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donclaypool

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been lurking this forum since I moved to FLA almost five years ago. Everyone here is so obsessed with cold, as if people can't go outside north of the 26th parallel. I should be heading out to Seattle next summer (when it's warm!) and hope to get in a couple dives with you guys. I tell everyone here about the abundance of life in cold water but they just don't appreciate it. I sure did! We don't have large, curious sea mammals here. I've seen dolphins, but not while diving. When I first got here they warned me of the ever present current and danger of drift diving so I was a little nervous on my first charter. Obviously, those who had warned me had never been flushed through Agate Pass on a strong winter tide! I miss the diving, the people, the really, really great beer, mountains, solitude, open spaces... everything except the rain. The diving spoils us here in Florida but it sure has a price for a Northwest native. Now I'm going to go put on my 7mm Bare drysuit just to feel it's warmth again.
Good Diving,

Don
Astoria/Corvallis/Bend/Redmond/Newport/Dutch Harbor and now Lantana,FL
If any of you come down this way look me up.

Can't speak to the diving aspect of the NW (yet), but I can feel for ya! Everytime I've left the NW, I'm always glad to return (regardless of the time of year). I like it even more on days like today, clear, crisp, and blue skies! :)

I'll have a beer for you tonight after work at Redhook. :)

Diving the cold water is great. Tons to see. Although if you want good beer, you're gonna have to come a little further north, just this side of the border :)

Uncle Pug:
Don, give us a heads up when you come to Seattle we will take you out for some boat dives.

WooHoo- Just what I wanted to hear Mr. Pug.

Haven't tried B.C. beers other than LaBatts,Moosehead,Molsons. Are there good Canuck Micros?

I have to really search for Rogue Dead Guy's, and would freedive 60' for a Bridgeport Coho.

don

donclaypool:
Haven't tried B.C. beers other than LaBatts,Moosehead,Molsons. Are there good Canuck Micros?

don
I'm sure I'll be burned as a heretic, but I can't stand those "high school" beers. Spinnakers out of Victoria makes my favorite beer, an "extra special bitter". If you want strong, try Quebec's "maudite" (Spelling?). It's 9 % and tastes like pungent mud. Mmmmm! Since this is a diving forum, I guess I have to say something about diving too, so... Last year I went on a 6 month "dive trip" with the navy. I dove in Hawaii, Fiji, Great Barrier Reef, Arabian Sea, Etc..., but every time I jumped in the water, I honestly missed that "holy s**t" feel of cold water on my face.

Lots of good microbreweries. Lots of good beer. Next time you're up, this side of the border, let us know where you're at. I'm sure there will be a few people who volunteer to show you around.

I'm about to kill my all cold water diving history by going to Fiji. We'll see what happens when I come back. I have a feeling I'll still be more then willing to go jump in the freezing waters.

donclaypool:
I've been lurking this forum since I moved to FLA almost five years ago. Everyone here is so obsessed with cold, as if people can't go outside north of the 26th parallel. I should be heading out to Seattle next summer (when it's warm!) and hope to get in a couple dives with you guys. I tell everyone here about the abundance of life in cold water but they just don't appreciate it. I sure did! We don't have large, curious sea mammals here. I've seen dolphins, but not while diving. When I first got here they warned me of the ever present current and danger of drift diving so I was a little nervous on my first charter. Obviously, those who had warned me had never been flushed through Agate Pass on a strong winter tide! I miss the diving, the people, the really, really great beer, mountains, solitude, open spaces... everything except the rain. The diving spoils us here in Florida but it sure has a price for a Northwest native. Now I'm going to go put on my 7mm Bare drysuit just to feel it's warmth again.
Good Diving,

Don
Astoria/Corvallis/Bend/Redmond/Newport/Dutch Harbor and now Lantana,FL
If any of you come down this way look me up.
Don, stop your whining, people pay money to fly here and dive :wink:

simbrooks:
Don, stop your whining, people pay money to fly here and dive :wink:

Help me, please!!!!! Jeb Bush and the Florida Tourism Commision ******* are coming for me. I must hide and be very, very quiet now.

I wouldn't be whining so much if I could get a decent microbrew, though.

Exit, stage right

donclaypool:
Help me, please!!!!! Jeb Bush and the Florida Tourism Commision ******* are coming for me. I must hide and be very, very quiet now.

I wouldn't be whining so much if I could get a decent microbrew, though.

Exit, stage right

Yeah ... that's the problem with living in a Third World country ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom