Missing Reel on Robert Gaskin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPVDiver:
Sunday afternoon I ran a gap line on the Gaskin from the end of the shore line to the anchor chain. It was tied off nicely and left to connect the line for an easy route back home from the wreck.
Amazing! Hard to believe than anyone was this Stund. Yet, it must have been some unknowing individual all the same.

I can't imagine deliberate theft... What risk someones (or teams) life/saftey for getting their hands on a reel. Also, what if they were to get caught red handed. I can picture an ugly scene :eek:) with someone being left on the Bottom in a Ball of String :eek:)

Nope, I figure a couple of Rookies named Stu and Pid... I can imagine their Shock and Anxiety/Worry in the future when they learn of how to use a Reel.

Hope the rest of the Dive was enjoyable Kris... Also hope your feeling better about this and can laugh and shake your head, worst things can happen to spoil a good dive.

Hi to Jes

Cheers

I would put it down to ignorance rather than theft, and it's not the students fault. Recreational agencies do not teach how to use a reel. Most recreational instructors I talk to don't know what stage bottles are, or how to use a spool / reel and therefore have no reason to pass on this information. I went through the PADI program up to DM and was not taught reel & spools until I took Tech I. At the recreational level, I was laughed at and called a tech wannabe for carrying my 30 cu ft pony slung with a harness & backplate and wanting to learn how to use a reel properly as I innocently asked what PADI specialties would give me the skills. (I'm not bashing PADI here, I just don't have experience with the other recreational agencies.)

To quote Dan MacKay "You can't teach what you don't know"

Kevin Ripley:
I would put it down to ignorance rather than theft, and it's not the students fault. Recreational agencies do not teach how to use a reel.
Kevin, I agree there is practically an industry of ignorance out there about staged or placed equipment. However, if someone picks up a deployed reel with proper tie offs (as compared to one dropped on the bottom) or grabs a couple of stage bottles neatly placed or leashed off on a wreck, they are using ignorance to justify either their greed or stupidity. They may not know why it's there, but they most definitely know that it was purposely placed there and not abandoned. Do you go around grabbing fences out of the farmers yard just because he isn't around?

I would put it down to ignorance rather than theft, and it's not the students fault. Recreational agencies do not teach how to use a reel. <snip>
Not to turn this into an agency bashing which is useless. I strongly disagree. I have dived with NAUI divers, not technical trained and they knew very well how to use a reel and not to steal it !!!
All goes back to the quality of instruction you get and if you are inclined to stealing equipment. :)
Bottomline, do you need an agency to teach you not to be an a..hole ? (sorry for the harsh words here, folks)

Rubis,

I am a NAUI instructor, and there is nothing in the syllabus about reels in the OW class. If their instructor was a caver or cave instructor as well, I could see this being mentioned, but that would be in addition to the class. What's more, I really don't see this as a part of any "Wreck Survey" course taught by NAUI or the other agencies as well.

As I mentioned earlier, its a topic that will covered in all of my classes from here on out.

I agree there's nothing in the standards of the "rec" agencies. My point is a good instructor is going to teach reels too. Especially here in the Great Lakes !

The other comment for stealing reels, I think it is common sense, I do not believe one needs to get a course not to steel somebody else's reel ... If so, we are in BIG TROUBLE !!!

On another note, let it be said I am a strong supporter of GUE and DIR diving, but the reason invoked, "not to steal reels" ... I am sorry I do not buy into that.

Doppler

You mean Lawrence B never taught you not to steel another divers reel way way back when you became a basic open water instructor LOL. I know to many divers who have had things like Deco bottles, Reels, Cameras and even there lunch stolen during dives, my controversial views are allot different from most divers and that is ALL DIVERS ARE LIER'S AND THIEVES.

Looks like were on the same teck dive boat in Florida next month Doppler I'll bring extra reel just in case.

Mr A

Mr Adams:
Doppler

You mean Lawrence B never taught you not to steel another divers reel way way back when you became a basic open water instructor LOL. I know to many divers who have had things like Deco bottles, Reels, Cameras and even there lunch stolen during dives, my controversial views are allot different from most divers and that is ALL DIVERS ARE LIER'S AND THIEVES.

Looks like were on the same teck dive boat in Florida next month Doppler I'll bring extra reel just in case.

Mr A

I think you have this the wrong way round... I don't steal reels :wink:

I am not sure I will be on Ted's boat next month... depends on what happens in Ohio the weekend before... so you don't need any extra reels because of me.

Rubis:
Not to turn this into an agency bashing ... I have dived with NAUI divers...
But you had to anyway... in this case, however, NAUI is typically no better than anyone... having been involved in the training of many NAUI divers I can tell you that most of them (OW level) were not specifically instructed in "not touching deployed equipment" as it likely isn't abandoned, nor were thay trained in the use of reels other than in how to operate a float flag.

PatH:
But you had to anyway... in this case, however, NAUI is typically no better than anyone... having been involved in the training of many NAUI divers I can tell you that most of them (OW level) were not specifically instructed in "not touching deployed equipment" as it likely isn't abandoned, nor were thay trained in the use of reels other than in how to operate a float flag.

Come on Pat ! I have not even been trained by any of the rec agencies over here ! I'm out of the "local" agencies wars ... :D
I could not care less ...
As I said, those divers had a good rec instructor that's all. True, he teaches tech diving too and he is cave trained :05: ...

However isn't it just common sense not to touch equipment that does not belong to us ??? Seriously ? A deployed reel does not look lost IMO ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom