Missouri Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always wonder, when I come across a story like this at this time of year, if there might have been a regulator icing problem. In a very deep quarry here in Ohio there have been a couple instances of this. The quarry I am speaking of is said to maintain a temperature of 39 degrees even in the warm weather. If your regs aren't for cold water you can get in trouble very quickly.

I assume you're speaking of Gilboa? Yeah it's pretty chilly at the bottom. The owner does a good job of keeping people in the shallower side and has to see your dive profile/equipment list before he'll let you over there.

Sadly there are a some people who have gone over there with a single tank, single reg, wetsuit etc and/or were very inexperienced. I like having backups!

What do you mean "sounds cold"?

lots of He. I asked about the mixes because I'm not trained on trimix yet. To do it locally, would require this class first:

DSAT Tec Deep Diver Course Details

which involves deep diving on air. I'm assuming this guy was in the same class.

nobody here's argueing 180' on air is a bad idea, or that air>trimix by any means, but 100' max depth seems to be way on the conservative side. PADI seems to think 165' is still fine if done properly (not that i would ever neccessarily agree with a cert agency...).

and more importantly, we still dont know how this guy ended up at 179' on air.

The only thermal issue with helium happens when you use it to inflate your drysuit. Its VERY cold.

I would suggest looking elsewhere for proper training that does not include a deep air segment. It might cost more money, but it won't cost you your life.

There seems to be conflicting reports whether this was a course or not, so I shall call the deceased "student" as he might not have been one.

Somewhere I saw a mention that he arrived on the surface with a bag. Does anyone have information whether this bit has any truth to it or is it just another piece "anyone can say anything"? If so, is there any information whether the fast ascent was related to the bag shoot itself?

After reviewing the DAN statistics on fatalities, it would appear that the five tops reason for diving deaths are (in descending order):

1. Insufficient Gas
2. Strong Current / Rough Seas
3. Poor Fitness, High BMI / Heart Disease
4. Entrapment
5. Equipment Malfunction / Problems

We'll never know if narcosis was an issue, but we do know it could've been a number of other things.

The point is that narcosis on its own has never killed anybody. Not reacting properly to a problem,due to narcosis,has.

A few years ago I was doing a local dive. At about 130 in bad viz I lost my buddy. backtracked a few feet and found him pointing at his manifold. Offered him a reg,he declined it.Checked his valves,all on. So whats his problem? Ah,now I see. 1/4" steel cable from a no swim buoy tangled in his manifold. I undid the cable and we all lived happily ever after.

If we had been diving single tanks and wimpy lights it might have turned out differently. Cause of death would have been drowning due to entanglement.

If I had been diving trimix the problem would have been sorted more quickly.

Trying to fix problems,at depth,on air,is a fools game.

There seems to be conflicting reports whether this was a course or not, so I shall call the deceased "student" as he might not have been one.

Somewhere I saw a mention that he arrived on the surface with a bag. Does anyone have information whether this bit has any truth to it or is it just another piece "anyone can say anything"? If so, is there any information whether the fast ascent was related to the bag shoot itself?

People who were at the quarry at the time of the accident did report that an SMB was deployed. During the rescue the line was cut and the reel lost at the bottom of the quarry. From eye witness reports, it did not appear that the line was tangled around the body or gear. So, there is no evidence available to confirm or disprove any theory that the SMB was the cause of death.

There is also no way possible at this time to know if the bag was deployed as scheduled during a training excercise or if it was deployed because of a threat or emergency.

Had the diving pair notified the owner of the quarry that a bag was going to be deployed, that may be an clue if there was an emergency before the bag was deployed or an emergency as the bag was deployed.

This is definitely a shame.
The owner of my LDS (which is PADI) refuses to teach deep air, his main concern is that once you move to their trimix class the 1st thing they say is NEVER dive deep on air.
He is very concerned that the litigation that will ensue an accident could & probably would bring this up in front of a judge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom