MK16/S550 or MK25/S600?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, from what has been said, I understand the G250HP is the same as the S600, only the S600 has a smaller case and a tendency to freeflow in cold waters. I couldn't find much of a difference between the S550 and the G250HP, except for the ajustable inhalation control and design, is that correct? Couldn't find any reference to the S555 in the scubapro website.

I also understood that the Mk17 is better than the MK25 because it works better in cold water enviroments. It is also cheaper and lighter. So, why would anyone be willing to buy the MK25 over the MK17?

I also plan to buy a Mares Proton octopus, any thoughts on that?

This is ending up being more helpful than I expected. thanks, guys.

Fernando:
I couldn't find much of a difference between the S550 and the G250HP, except for the ajustable inhalation control and design, is that correct?

The S550 is basically an S600 without the adjustable inhalation control - it has a plastic cap in place of the adjuster assembly. (I think) the S550 and S600 uses the same poppet pieces and "air tube." G250HP has a larger case.

Fernando:
Couldn't find any reference to the S555 in the scubapro website.

http://www.scubaproasiapacific.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=566

Fernando:
I also understood that the Mk17 is better than the MK25 because it works better in cold water enviroments. It is also cheaper and lighter. So, why would anyone be willing to buy the MK25 over the MK17?

Hose routing.

Fernando:
I also plan to buy a Mares Proton octopus, any thoughts on that?

Stick to one brand - it'll make servicing slightly easier.

Vie:
The S550 is basically an S600 without the adjustable inhalation control. G250HP has a larger case.

So, does that mean the S550 will have the same tendency to freeflow in cold waters as the S600?

I'm sorry for all the newbie questions.

Sure I agree with DA's point in the long run. But, I am wondering how many divers have an idea about G250HP more than S600 in the market. For example, G250HP is better for the cold water. As someone who knows the regulator very well and as a collector, G250HP will be the great value, but it will take a long time to valuate their value in the resale market in the terms of occational or rec. divers. Market is a trend that sometimes, we can't understand and predict in our logical knowledge. Therefore, my point is that to get the current model (won't be discontinued soon) is the safe bet.....

Yep, the hose routing on the MK17 bites compared to the MK25.

I'm trying out a MK17/X650 on a single tank at the moment. These regs breath great, but I hate the 17s routing. I haven't looked into using it on doubles yet, but the hose routing will never equal the MK25s.

Vie:
Hose routing.

There is also the fact that some people just perfer piston 1st stages to diaphram stages. If you aren't going to dive in cold water, ever then there is not much of a reason to go with the 17, if you like the way a piston breathes better.

Oh and marketing, SP is going to push the 25 more than the 17 since it is a more expensive model, and thus (hopefully for them) should give a larger return per unit sold.

I agree with you and I was a hard core piston reg fan for nearly 20 years. But I do have to say that the Mk 17 beathes every bit as good as the Mk 25 but does it in a smaller lighter and more cold water and travel freindly package. So despite a 20 year predjudice against diaphragm regs, I have swapped all three of my Mk 20 and 25's for Mk 17's.

I'd love to see SP come out with a swivel turreted version of the Mk 17. Instead they introduced the MK 11 which is a Mk 17 without the sealed ambient chamber. For the $40 difference in price, divers are much better off with the Mk 17.

I've seen really low prices on the MK16 lately; I think LP has it paired with the S550 for $199. Isn't the MK17 very similar in design to the MK16, just with the environmental seal? If that's the case and cold water performance is not an issue, wouldn't the MK 16 at close out prices be a good deal?

The Mk 16 is very similar to the Mk 17 overall layout and design. The Mk 17 uses a different seat and alignment system and supplies the air to the balance chamber through a passage on the other side of the chamber rather than through the passage for the pin.

The Mk 16 does not have the sealed amient chamber but is none the less very reliable in cold water - much more so than the Mk 25.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom