Mk17 vs Mk17 EVO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How did I know?

Seems he doesn't know the difference between IP creep and balancing.....

Mk16 used to be terrible creepers, but the balancing was completely okay.

With the new MK11/17 poppet the creep is no issue anymore, but the balancing is lousy.

And of course I'd like to see SP making new regulators if that means better breathing ones.

But as long the D-series can be adjusted to almost 50% less cracking effort than the later models without risking wet breathing and the exhaust valves just getting bigger to get better ANSTI ratings, I'm not impressed of the 'innovations' of SP.

A lot is going backwards (which is okay) like the full metal A700, but it's pretty expensive for what it is offering.

Just got me a 156 in good shape for 100,- bugs and a couple of 109er which I converted to BA because I might start diving cold again this year, no need to get me a A700, even at dealer price.

I love my MK25 for warm water diving, but even if it can flow 20.000 liter a minute next year I won't buy a new one.

Technically for me the best times of SP seem to be over.........

Last edited:
I never said there was an advantage. The 25 EVO is different than the 25. The body is different and thread pitches were changed for better cold water performance.

I stopped reading here. It's okay to market new and great stuff, but expecting anyone with a grain of knowledge to believe that THREAD PITCH affects cold water performance is totally jumping the shark. Come on, that's patently absurd.

I stopped reading here. It's okay to market new and great stuff, but expecting anyone with a grain of knowledge to believe that THREAD PITCH affects cold water performance is totally jumping the shark. Come on, that's patently absurd.

Thats a little out of context in the long line of this thread. It was never my intention to imply thats the only thing that is supposed to help with cold water.

Thats a little out of context in the long line of this thread. It was never my intention to imply thats the only thing that is supposed to help with cold water.

No, but you clearly said thread pitch impacted cold water performance. That is unadulterated BS.

No, but you clearly said thread pitch impacted cold water performance. That is unadulterated BS.

Well... thats just like your opinion man. Haha.

SP engineering says they found the thicker body with coarse threads does help. Thats not really all thats up behind the evo tho. And if thats all you wanna pay attention to then by all means go ahead. Keep in mind I'm the first to admit the evo across the line is more of a face lift with a few small performance tweaks.

If you already own non evo models there is no reason to run out and buy new ones. Spend that money on dive trips instead.

As for ip creep? I am just not seeing this and I test every reg I service at 3000, 1500, and 500 with no creep problems. Only time I have creep problems is when someone before us nicks a piston head or orifice. And we all know.... you never want a "nick in your orifice" haha. Thats gets me every time.

Apparently you have a nick in your understanding of the difference between IP creep, and IP rise or drop over the supply pressure range, which is a function of balancing. Nobody's been talking about IP creep on this thread, axxel brought up the fact that even though the MK11/17 is a 'balanced' 1st stage, IP rises 10PSI + from full to empty tank. Guess what that makes it? An unbalanced diaphragm, or at best, partially balanced.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom