Mk17 vs Mk17 EVO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to try give benefit of doubt to ScubaBros, so is it possible that he just got brain washed SP marketing, that he really believe the lack of balancing is a design feature in stead of s design limitation? He really wasn't trying to lie about it.

SB peeps, I spend a good amount of time and money traveling to classes and tech clinics to learn about what I sell and work on.

Things I comment on here are directly taken from what I am taught. It is not in an effort to be dishonest to my customers. It is to be as helpful as I can. We (my bro and I) have had the great opportunity to meet many of the SP higher ups and engineers, they are all very passionate about diving and making great products for divers.

Its a shame you all think they are all out just to **** you.

As I said, his comments are what I would expect from a ScubaPro Platinum Dealer. No that we have to believe it. We have seen it before. FWIW - I own a stupidly large quantity of SP regulators. One of my favorite brands, but I really don't think anything has been an improvement over the last decade or more. Look at the regulator timeline on the SP site. It is basically window dressing marketed as an improvement. The EVO gives them the opportunity to discontinue support for "old stuff", and essentially force the hand on new purchases (unless the aftermarket guys kick it up a notch in producing kits for the 17/20/25 non-evo). The MK-2 is alive and well..

Last edited:
I have my share of SP regulators, mainly Mk25AFs and G250Vs. Now if SP stop supplying part to them, I will probably never buy another SP products again.

On 2nd thought, this probably will not happen in my case. Because these regs are also sold under Halcyon. I don't think SP want to screw with the DIR/cave diver crowd, consider how much money these people spend on dive equipments. Just a guess

Last edited:
Things I comment on here are directly taken from what I am taught.

Its a shame you all think they are all out just to **** you.

What we are trying to say is what you were taught by SP high levels, can be entire incorrect, and can also be entirely based on marketing ploy, not engineering facts. We here don't have anything to gain by pointing the design limitations.

I have my share of SP regulators, mainly Mk25AFs and G250Vs. Now if SP stop supplying part to them, I will probably never buy another SP products again.

On 2nd thought, this probably will not happen in my case. Because these regs are also sold under Halcyon. I don't think SP want to screw with the DIR/cave diver crowd, consider how much money these people spend on dive equipments. Just a guess

there is a reason for the G260..... Think about it, the 109/156/g200/g200b/g250/G250graphite/g250v all essentially had the same guts. Now they stop making it in favor of the G260 (all different parts).... again, the writing is on the wall.... then again, the G250 could be brought back again in some marketing strategy.... what could they call it???? The "Vintage" was a hit.....

25 and 17 kits for evo and non evo versions are the same so you dont need to worry about that.

The mk 2 evo kit is slightly different because the knife edge or orifice whatever you prefer to call it is now removable/replaceable where on older versions it was machined into the body. Now if the knife edge gets damaged you can replace a small part and not the whole body. A few other O rings changed sizes as well.

No worries the mk2 kits will be around forever.

I agree with a few of your points... but the g260 does have some nice things going for it over the 250. I dove a 250 for years loved it. But the 260 is a little more refined.

Back
Top Bottom