mk25 leaking water into it or what ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batman diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi i recently bought a mk25 g250v went and did some ocean dives with it this weekend , it breathes beautifully by the way , on my last dive i noticed very small amount of salt water seem to be coming into my mouth in the form of a like mist from my 2nd stage , not a lot ,but after a while (40min) began getting that very salty taste in my mouth , i thought maybe 2nd stage leaking , so tried the octo , exact same thing ,,,, so problem is the 1st stage ... any ideas ?

Are your mouthpieces on properly.

How are your exhaust valves.

Are your diaphragms seated with covers screwed down.

Water is not in the first stage unless it came from the tank. The entire first stage interior is at higher pressure than ambient; so if there are any leaks you'll have air exiting but no water entering.

If both your primary and alternate 2nd stages are breathing wet, then there is a problem in both. There are lots of threads about this problem so do a search and you'll find lots of info. Start by doing a vacuum test on each; if you want to completely isolate the 1st stage, disconnect each 2nd (at the 2nd stage) and cover the inlet with a finger. Try to take a breath; you'll probably find that you can draw a little air. The most likely leak points are the mouthpiece and exhaust valve; other possibilities include the diaphragm, a crack in the case, or a leak at the air barrel o-rings. IME the exhaust valve and/or mouthpiece account for 90% of the leaks I find in my own gear.

The other possibility is that you're the problem (sorry...:wink:) meaning somehow you're letting in a little water around the mouthpiece.

i cant see two brand new 2nd stages from 2 completely different manufactures both having a problem , so i think it was either me or the cylinder was wet .... ( im hoping the cylinder or ill feel like a fool) but anyways was just worried it was the 1st stage , but clearly it cant be :) so ill just have to see next time i dive thanks guys

Connect your regs to your tanks. Leave the valve off and gently suck on the mouth piece. If you can inhale slightly there is a leak. Does the same thing as putting your hand over the hose as suggested above. You can look in through the side and see how the exhaust diaphragm is going. Otherwise you will have to inspect it or take it to someone to inspect.

Back
Top Bottom