Mk5 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm super confused: What's the definitive way to distinguish Mk5s from Mk10s? I'm starting to think my Mk10 is a Mk5.

Edit/guess: Mk10 has the ambient vents on the main body whereas the Mk5 has them on the unscrewable body part?

Here's the basic:
  • MK5: the ambient ports are located in the cap, the part that's right below the swivel. At that time, SP decided the crown of the piston should live in the cap.
  • MK10: the ambients ports are on the body, 1 story below the cap, where the yoke is. SP changed their mind and moved the crown to the body.
[-]Another way to tell them apart: the 5 has a metal saddle, the part between th yoke and the body, the 10 has a plastic saddle.[/-]

Inside, the 5 has a big piston with a -022 (i'm sure) crown o-ring, and the 10 has a smaller piston with a -017 (I think) o-ring.

Last edited:
Another way to tell them apart: the 5 has a metal saddle, the part between th yoke and the body, the 10 has a plastic saddle.

Don't take that one to the bank: First

I have two Mk5s with the pictured plastic saddle and a 3rd one with a plastic saddle from a Mk25 that I had to use in a "rube goldberg" din conversion.

Here's the basic:
  • MK5: the ambient ports are located in the cap, the part that's right below the swivel. At that time, SP decided the crown of the piston should live in the cap.
  • MK10: the ambients ports are on the body, 1 story below the cap, where the yoke is. SP changed their mind and moved the crown to the body.
Another way to tell them apart: the 5 has a metal saddle, the part between th yoke and the body, the 10 has a plastic saddle.

Inside, the 5 has a big piston with a -022 (i'm sure) crown o-ring, and the 10 has a smaller piston with a -017 (I think) o-ring.

I agree with most of the above - the stuff in regard to wether the ambient holes are in the swivel cap or in the reg body. But you will encounter Mk 5's with plastic saddles now and then so it is not definiitive. The last of the Mk 5s used solid black plastic saddles and many earlier Mk 5s have ended up with Mk 15, 20 and 25 saddles.

----

The best approach I have found for replacing the piston stem o-ring on the Mk 5 or Mk 10 is to use a brass o-ring pick from parker seals (comes in the 2 brass o-ring pick set sold on scubatools). start on the ambient chamber side, poke the o-ring in the hole, nudge one edge of it into the groove with the rounded end of the pick, flip the reg over and use the V shaped end of the pick to slowly push the free end of the o-ring down (toward the ambient chamber side). The o-ring will most of the time roll right into the groove. In some cases you may have to nudge it in here and there with the rounded end. Occassionally you get a stubborn one with an overly tight groove and you may have to hold the captured end in the groove with a straight o-ring pick with one hand while you press it in place with the V shaped tool in the other.

Technique is probably important, but with the above methods you can get one in place consistently in about 15 seconds.

I have never liked the tool Peterbuilt makes for this. It's quicker and easier doing it as noted above.

-----

When removing the piston stem o-ring, only use a brass o-ring pick. steel picks will scratch the surfaces and if you create a scratch in the groove itself, you will end up with a leak and there is no way to repair the damage. The other o-ring pick in the parker set is perfect for this.

----

Scubaporo made two major changes in the Mk 10 compared to the Mk 5.

1. Smaller diameter piston head.
2. Bearing surface for the piston head in the body rather than the swivel cap.

Number 1 was a mixed bag. the smaller head increased the less than perfect balance issues caused by the straight piston stem, and it required more IP drop to get the same work out of the smaller piston. But the msaller piston was lighter and displaced less water in the ambient chamber when it moved.

Number 2 was a problem as any wear or scoring that occuured there require a new reg body on the Mk 10 rather than just a fairly inexpensive and easy to replace swivel cap. It also made packing the ambient chamber with environmental silicone without leaving voids much harder than on a Mk 5.

---

The Mk 15, 20 and 25 have all used a variation on a bushing system intended to allow the tolerances in the reg body to be both more accurate and renewed with each annual service. Too much wear in that area on a Mk 5 or Mk 10 will result in O-ring extrusion or pinching and that will eventually result in leaks, in some cases whistling noise (as the trapped piece of o-ring causes the piston to vibrate as it moves) and eventually complete o-ring failure.

The bushing system in the Mk 15 was not popular as it required long reach o-ring pliers to remove the C-clip retaining the bushing, but the Mk 20 and 25 use a spring to accomplish this and all the bushings are removeable and replaceable.

And in the Mk 15, 20 and 25, Scubapro went back to the full size piston head and they also went back to having the bearing surface for the piston head o-ring in the swivel cap. .

-----

When removing the piston stem o-ring, only use a brass o-ring pick. steel picks will scratch the surfaces and if you create a scratch in the groove itself, you will end up with a leak and there is no way to repair the damage. The other o-ring pick in the parker set is perfect for this.

Sounds safer than my tool. I use the SS pick but, besides modifying the angle a bit for that O-ring removal task, I rounded the tip to reduce the chance of scratching anything. Those sharply pointed tip are only necessary if you stab the o-ring to remove it which I avoid. And I am very careful not to scratch the lower pressure side of a gland.

I just packed two MK10s with tribolube 66. I took the piston out, used the syringe to fill in the area around the spring as much as possible, put some more in the ambient chamber down on the HP o-ring side. Then I installed the piston, assembled the reg, and watched as the excess grease exited all the ambient chamber vents. Then I slid the SPEC boot on, and slowly pressurized the reg. A pretty good squirt came out the small vent hole in the boot. Do you think it's likely that there are voids in the grease in the ambient chamber?

I was thinking about how much compression there would be in the SPEC boot while in use. I guess if there are no voids, since the grease is not compressible, theoretically there should be zero compression into the vents, correct? And zero lag for IP/depth compensation? I wonder how it works out in reality?

I'm thinking of packing the chamber in one of my late MK5s, which has no boot of course, but it does have those very small vents. There's no real reason for me to pack, since the coldest water I dive in is maybe 60F, but I am a little curious about the benefits in terms of ambient chamber cleanliness. Once I bought a MK5 that had been silicone packed, and the ambient chamber looked perfect, even though the reg obviously had not been serviced in many years.

Wrap and tape some 1500 or 1000 around some aluminium rod stock for cleaning and poishing bodies and caps.

I don't get it either. There must be a void created when the piston moves.
I think it is more a corrosion keep the crap out system.
Ambient occurs through the grease more so than against it.

When removing the piston stem o-ring, only use a brass o-ring pick. steel picks will scratch the surfaces and if you create a scratch in the groove itself, you will end up with a leak and there is no way to repair the damage.

I know this is a tried and true technique, but I wonder if a brass pick could also scratch the brass journal. Anyhow, by burying the tip of the pick in the o-ring, I'm hoping to both protect the reg body and get a positive grip on the o-ring to pull it out. I really like the double-hook pick shape for this. I'll try the picks you suggest for the next one I do.

... start on the ambient chamber side, poke the o-ring in the hole, nudge one edge of it into the groove with the rounded end of the pick, flip the reg over and use the V shaped end of the pick to slowly push the free end of the o-ring down (toward the ambient chamber side)...

Thanks for this authoritative post, DA. Tell me if I get it right:
  1. From the ambient side, push the o-ring in so that one end sits in the groove, and the other end passes the groove toward the seat side
  2. From the seat side, push the end that has passed the groove back into the groove

Threads like this one are the reason the board is so fantastic! A few basic questions from a guy (me) who couldn't tell the difference between a Mk5 and Mk10 has spawned some really good replies, in fact about a few things I had not even thought to ask.

I do already own all of the various o-ring picks and Scubapro tools mentioned in this thread; I really went "hog wild" when I first got interested in servicing my own regs a couple years ago and bought all the tools from scubatools I thought I might need in the future... and the future has finally arrived in the form of a Mk5 :D

From reading though the replies, I can see there are several successful (safe) ways to handle the piston o-ring. Overall, the Mk5 looks to be much simpler to service than the diaphragm regs I'm familiar with, but that one o-ring may be the only exception, and I will be careful.

Another question before I start:

The brass turret bolt:

1. What do you recommend for torque,

2. Yes or No on using Locktite or similar thread sealant? I'm thinking it might be good to use a tiny bit of Locktite and torque to mid-range of the spec... but was curious what the pro's did. (I did not see any thread sealant when I took the reg apart, however).

Best wishes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom