Mk5 Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, and yes, but...

The original DIN conversion kit, part #10-105-030 works perfectly and is rated for 300 bar. I fit a NOS recently without any problem, but I haven't tested it in a real 300 bar tank.

The challenge is finding it.

awap has reported success with the Trident parts.

The Master Awap has converted a MK 5 to DIN; he's probably getting his much needed beauty sleep right now, but I'm sure he can advise you when he returns to consciousness.

The Master Awap has converted a MK 5 to DIN; he's probably getting his much needed beauty sleep right now, but I'm sure he can advise you when he returns to consciousness.

I'm awake now but it looks like I got up too early.

I picked up an "old style" trident din adapter only to learn "old style" ment Mk10 and it is not compatible with the Mk5. To make it worse, the threads were so poorly chromed that the retainer could not be installed in a Mk10 due to excessive binding well before it was properly seated.

No matter because I had a few extra Scubapro universal din retainers and needed the din wheels (and filter retainers) to go with them. The universal din retainer accommodates the sidewall o-ring that the Mk5 requires but is a bit short to seat properly without damaging the o-ring (it would still seal but it did damage the o-ring in the threads). With the Mk5, the recommended 22 ft-lb of torque is absorbed between the end of the retainer and the bottom of the opening in the body. So I added a couple brass washers (about 1mm worth) into the opening to apply the required torque and position the o-ring correctly on the side wall sealing surface. At this point there is also a problem with the Mk5 saddle binding the din wheel so I used the plastic Mk20/25 saddle . It has 2 plastic rings on the face that contacts the yoke or din wheel. I used a dremmel tool to remove the inner ring and that removed the source of the binding on the din wheel and everything fit just right. It not only works well but even looks good (not high on my list of acceptability criteria).

I picked up an "old style" trident din adapter only to learn "old style" ment Mk10 and it is not compatible with the Mk5...

Strange: my "new style" (A194) Trident DIN thingy fits the MK20 which uses the same adapter as the MK10. And Trident advertizes it as suitable for the MK10, 15, 20 & 25, but not the 5.

... To make it worse, the threads were so poorly chromed that the retainer could not be installed in a Mk10 due to excessive binding well before it was properly seated...

My "new style" also has very sharp threads, nearly cutting-sharp to the touch. It does screw in OK, but it requires a bit more effort than I like.

The Scubapro Universal DIN kit fits everything except the Mk 5 so it makes sense that the "new style" Trident adpater is the same.

It's the Mk 5 Trident adpaters that are noted for being problematic. I had similar issues to awap but it worked ok after using a Mk 20 saddle.

So A166 is the Mk5 adapter, and you solved the problem by also using a Mk20 saddle?

I'm currently trying to decide whether to DIN my Mk5s and Mk10, but it seems like the cost to do that is close to the cost to just get different second-hand DIN 1sts.

So A166 is the Mk5 adapter, and you solved the problem by also using a Mk20 saddle?

I'm currently trying to decide whether to DIN my Mk5s and Mk10, but it seems like the cost to do that is close to the cost to just get different second-hand DIN 1sts.

The A166 will not work with a Mk5. The retainer will not accommodate the side mounted o-ring that is required for the Mk5. Plus the price was no bargain when I got mine from Scubatoys ($50+).

Din adapters that will work with a Mk10 show up with some regularity on ebay. A new one just went for $27 plus $5 shipping and I have grabbed one for less than $20 plus shipping.

I do not know if the A194 will accept a side mounted o-ring but I would stay away from the Trident product in this case. The new Scubapro universal din retainer will accept either an end mounted or a side mounted o-ring and can be made to work on a Mk5 although it is not designed for that application (threads are right but length is wrong).

So stick with the SP DIN adapter, and get a Mk20 saddle+orings+dremel for the Mk5 application?

Sorry for the repetition, I just like confirmation. I do this in predive briefings too, to the chagrin of my SO/PDB.

So stick with the SP DIN adapter, and get a Mk20 saddle+orings+dremel for the Mk5 application?

Sorry for the repetition, I just like confirmation. I do this in predive briefings too, to the chagrin of my SO/PDB.

The key is you need the Scubapro universal din retainer which I believe will come with a Mk20/25 din adapter kit. The old Mk10 kit will not work on the Mk5.

Hello everyone,
I am new to the forum and have been lurking for the past couple of months. I have been learned so much from this board searching every thread I could find. One thing I want to do is to start restoring SP regs. Particularly Mk5's and r109/156's. LP and one other vendor (which I can't remember) sells an Oceanic version of a MK5 DIN. It's listed here Oceanic Din Conversion Kit for SP5 Series Regulators. I think the quality may be better than the Trident version.
I doubt the are produced out of the same shop. But then, I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom