MOD Stickers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who leaves the fill station with a gas 10% off from the target?

Do you guys really do this?

I can’t even.
10% is too much. even for me and my dive shop...

additionally, bringing wkpp standard gases into this is silly. for anything other than what we do, you should stick to the plain jane GUE standard gases

@stuartv on a CCR it isn't unreasonable, but on a CCR you'd carry a lot more helium in the mix because you didn't plan on using it outside of bailout. 21/35 is what would be in all of my buddies dilout tanks for a 130ft ccr dive, ESPECIALLY if it was for over an hour.

What do you see as the downsides of running 1.4? sure it racks up less deco, but it's not without fault, especially as you are getting into trimix depths....

I'm not sure whether you mean diluent tanks or bailout tanks there. Or maybe you would be running a setup where your bottom gas bailout bottle IS your diluent bottle?

Anyway....

The downsides of running 1.4? On OC? Running up the CNS clock faster. A bigger risk to the diver if you go deeper than planned. Is there really any other downside (on OC)?

@tomfcrist how does slinging lp85's with only one of the of O2 count as compliant with NAUI's tech program?

It’s not...but neither is diving an O2ptima, or using deco software, or anything other than RGBM...etc. all that being said, I probably ought to update my profile...since I quit teaching. I’d rather spend my time diving, and having fun.

2hrs plus in the ocean (especially when you could break that up into shorter dives) isn’t responsible. Conditions change too fast.

Also cute. You do you buddy.

It’s not...but neither is diving an O2ptima, or using deco software, or anything other than RGBM...etc. all that being said, I probably ought to update my profile...since I quit teaching. I’d rather spend my time diving, and having fun.

Also cute. You do you buddy.

Not too keen on ending up in a Fl storm where the boat can’t see me and I’m making quick time to NC in gulfstream currents.

Not too keen on ending up in a Fl storm where the boat can’t see me and I’m making quick time to NC in gulfstream currents.

Fair enough...but that can happen on a 20 minute dive too. Don’t live in fear.

lol
curious where you draw your bottom time limit in the ocean now. and what's down there that needs to get done so bad in a single dive. is this what you teach your students too?

It’s not fear. It’s sensible.

I can think of no condition that would require a 75min bt at 130’ in the ocean. Not one. On deeper dives you can end up with a long RT but it’s pretty much unavoidable if you want to go see something deep.

Racking up time just to do it isn’t smart.

Well, I’m habitually seasick. Not puking..but I always feel like ****. I’d rather stay underwater.

Racking up time just to do it isn’t smart.

What if you're on a boat with a mix of rec and tech divers? The rec divers splash for a 1 hour run time, an hour SI, and then another 1 hour dive on the same site.

You can only do 1 tech dive. Why not do a 3 hour run time, if you can?

When I dived the Oriskany, that was pretty much exactly the case. My planned runtimes were only 90 minutes, but I was limited by being on OC, and by only being qualified to use 1 deco gas. If I had been on CCR, like my buddy was, I could definitely see wanting to plan our one dive such that it ended up being somewhere close to 3 hours.

In other words, it's not racking up time just to rack it up. It's making the most of your available resources.

What if you're on a boat with a mix of rec and tech divers? The rec divers splash for a 1 hour run time, an hour SI, and then another 1 hour dive on the same site.

You can only do 1 tech dive. Why not do a 3 hour run time, if you can?

When I dived the Oriskany, that was pretty much exactly the case. My planned runtimes were only 90 minutes, but I was limited by being on OC, and by only being qualified to use 1 deco gas. If I had been on CCR, like my buddy was, I could definitely see wanting to plan our one dive such that it ended up being somewhere close to 3 hours.

In other words, it's not racking up time just to rack it up. It's making the most of your available resources.
Rec diver gets hurt or has a medical situation on dive 1. Now everyone is in a pickle because the boat has a duty to that diver but also your group who wants to gallivant for 3hrs.

Scenario two - weather picks up. Everyone else is on the boat and getting beat up or worse because you want to gallivant for 3hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom