Modifying a BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RayfromTX

Student Of Gas Mixology
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I almost searched for a flame retardant suit before posting this but I'm going to ask this anyway. My wife and I just started diving and plan our dives to be in warm water vacation spots like Cozumel where we were first introduced to scuba. We purchased Zuma buoyancy compensators because they were lightweight and minimalist.

In retrospect we probably should have accepted the weight penalty and bought BP/W. Mine seems to work fine but she is short so she had to get the small size and because of her body type the weight pockets and D rings end up slightly behind her. I feel like we should find a really good seamstress to insert a few inches of nylon webbing between the weight pocket and the back part of the PC in order to move those pockets around beside her where they should be. I find nothing online that references anyone doing this. A BP/W set up would've been much more customizable and this problem wouldn't exist.

I'm sure that many here will think it crazy for me to take a new BC and start cutting into it but is there anyone here who has experience with this or doesn't think I'm crazy? I don't really much care about warranty issues and I can find someone that can do the tailoring. This isn't a skydiving rig where the opening forces would strain the stitching so it seems safe enough with Coats extra strong nylon thread and 2" nylon strapping intended for climbing harnesses.

so to answer your original question, nothing wrong with modifying BC's, sewing through them is how they're made, and you aren't going to hurt it unless you go through the bladder.

that said, I wouldn't do it on a Zuma because the waist belt/cummerbund is integrated into the center section and the risk you have is that the weight pockets will roll down and out because they won't be attached to the center section anymore. Not a great risk imho. I'd either try to return them and replace with a short backplate from DSS, kydex plate with a small wing will weigh about the same as the Zuma fwiw, or have her deal with it being a bit farther back than where you want it. Sucks, but looking at that rig, it isn't one that I would want to modify like that because of the way it was built

We've had the units now for beyond the one month return policy. We've used them for seven dives so far. My thought was to use two pieces of nylon webbing on each side, one at the top and one at the bottom in order to maintain the integrity of the waist belt which is about five or 6 inches wide at the point that I would cut it.

I am certain that we will end up in the back plate and wing setups before all is said and done but not before we take off for Cozumel on Sunday for 12 days. I am hoping to get the modification done before then.

We started out trying to save money on a package deal. Those days seems so long ago now. Should I admit that I ordered a pair of Shearwater Perdix AI computers on Friday? Something I learned long ago was to buy the best and cry once. I just seem to have forgotten that when I started to buy our BCs. At least with the new computers we won't be almost satisfied. wowza

Last edited:
We've had the units now for beyond the one month return policy. We've used them for seven dives so far. My thought was to use two pieces of nylon webbing on each side, one at the top and one at the bottom in order to maintain the integrity of the waist belt which is about five or 6 inches wide at the point that I would cut it.
This may be a stupid question but what problems does having the weight toward her back cause that needs correction by moving the pockets forward?

I know of the Zuma but not really familar with it. Pulling up images from the net doesn't really show me what I need to know how feasible the idea is. If you are willing to take a hit and likely have no resale value to it, and you have someone competent, get them to take a look. Anyone good at alterations should be able to give you an idea if they can do it. It will take a heavy duty, industrial machine to stitch stiff webbing.

Personally I would not do it. Let her dive the Zuma in Cozumel then look for better options and sell the Zuma.

I'd like for her to have better access to her pocket and built-in D-rings as well as the positioning of the weight release handles. Perhaps she can just live with it but it is not ideal. She really struggles to clip things onto the Drings. Another possibility and perhaps what we should do is to add some nice stainless steel rings in a better position. The pocket will just be used for an SMB so no real need to re-stow anything into it until we get to the surface anyway if and when it is used.

That may be the route that we go. If my machine was more heavy duty I would do it myself. I would only be taking it to someone else because I don't have a machine that will push that size needle. I have no desire to do it by hand.

That may be the route that we go. If my machine was more heavy duty I would do it myself. I would only be taking it to someone else because I don't have a machine that will push that size needle. I have no desire to do it by hand.

Find a shoe repair shop. They will have sewing machines capable of sewing heavy webbing. Alternatively a sewing awl can do the job (slowly) If you elect to use the awl, practice on some scrap first.

shopping

Tobin

Almost every crappy machine will do, you just need a thicker needle. It might be easier with a heavy duty machine one but you don't need it. I've have sewn tons of webbing with a cheap one.

if you lived further north I would suggest you take it to a womens coat store that does custom alterations. they will have both the machine and the tailor that is accustomed to working with heavier fabrics (think about winter felt coats). i have gone this route when i needed to change the length of a bcd cumber-bun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom