Moisture Fins? or filter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rimp

Contributor
Reaction score
I was looking at DiversDiscount.com and noticed there is a moisture filter available that connects on your LP hose between 1st and 2nd stages to provide moisture in your air supply and prevent you from getting a dry throat after diving (among other things)

Here is the description of it;

APOLLO 3/8 INCH BIO-FILTER MOISTURE SYSTEM

Reduces dry throat and cotton mouth by providing you with clean, moist air
Natural Atmosphere 30 to 70% humidity natural, Clean Air
Lower incidence of post diver headaches
Easier to equalize
Charcoal Filter removes trace particles of dust, rust, and odor
Simply attach to your regulator hose and add distilled water
Moisturizing Wick Humidifies dry tank air to normal breathing levels
Artificial Atmosphere 0.1% humidity Extremely Dry Tank Air
Fits all regulators in current production(except Beuchat VX10 primary hose)

Does anyone use such a thing in real life? Would it really make a difference? I can't recall ever having a dry throat after diving myself.

I understand that some regulators have moisture wings built into them as well?

Is this just a fad item, or is it something to consider?

Here is the link if anyone wants to read more details or look at the pics etc.

http://diversdiscount.com/resources...m/shop/product.asp?category=37&page=2&recs=10

No, the fins in the sherwood line of regs have been around for a while as with the apollo bio filter. I do not use one myself, but I think that if you are deeper colder and longer, you are more likely to feel the effects of drymouth.

IMO, the bio-filter is an expensive, unnecessary gadget. Especially if you don't suffer from any of the problems that it says it cures. I'd rather put that many dollars towards my own tank.

It's also been argued on the the board that it introduces an additional failure point, and that it has the potential to be a bacterial breeding ground, if not taken care of meticulously. Also, in colder waters, the moisture it introduces could freeze.

No personal experience, mind you, with that or with moisture fins, but I don't see it as a necessity.

i think a freshwater diver might find the biofilter a welcome addition when they dive saltwater. my blizzard has the moisture retention fins (heat retention fins in the winter), and i still get dry mouth in fresh and saltwater, in all temps, and any depth.

rescuediver009:
No, the fins in the sherwood line of regs have been around for a while as with the apollo bio filter. I do not use one myself, but I think that if you are deeper colder and longer, you are more likely to feel the effects of drymouth.

If you're in colder water, the LAST thing you want to introduce to your regulator system is increased moisture. That's just a disaster waiting to happen.

No, don't get it. It's a solution for an imagined problem for most people (There are a few cases where it is medically needed), and a major failure point. Also, you have to remember to fill it with water before diving.

Hmm....

Remove water, insert [favorite alcoholic drink], go dive.

Remember, noone said anything about not drinking DURING the dive!!

Rimp:
I understand that some regulators have moisture wings built into them as well?

Is this just a fad item, or is it something to consider?

Sherwoods have had the moisture-retention fins in their 2nd stage for eons. My previous reg was a Sherwood Blizzard, which not only had the moisture retention fins in it, but also a heat sink to help prevent freezing in colder air & water temps.

To summarize: they work.

In mid-2001 I switched to a Mares Abyss. While it is a better performing reg in several areas, I immediately noticed the difference in my mouth & throat after a dive.

Now, if I could only COMBINE the Abyss performance with the Sherwood drybleed & moisture fins... I would have my perfect reg! :wink:

FYI: I still have the Sherwood as a backup.

JMHO,

SubMariner:
Sherwoods have had the moisture-retention fins in their 2nd stage for eons. My previous reg was a Sherwood Blizzard, which not only had the moisture retention fins in it, but also a heat sink to help prevent freezing in colder air & water temps.

To summarize: they work.

In mid-2001 I switched to a Mares Abyss. While it is a better performing reg in several areas, I immediately noticed the difference in my mouth & throat after a dive.

Now, if I could only COMBINE the Abyss performance with the Sherwood drybleed & moisture fins... I would have my perfect reg! :wink:

FYI: I still have the Sherwood as a backup.

JMHO,

why not do that
i have both abyss and sherwood
and have done just that
only thing is you have to have an adapter for end of hose to sherwood second stage
or use sherwood second stage and hose on second port on abyss

I have never heard of anyne using the Biofiler but I know of several people that have looked at them and said no way for $150+. I do have to agree that it should inrease the mold issue as well as freezing in colder waters. Not something that I want to have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom